Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was a beater 1900 I took in in trade some time back. It came to me unusable with Uberti internals, an un-shootable cylinder, a badly welded up hammer, and worst of all a heavily over buffed, nickel job.

Gun lettered blue and case, shipped to Denver 1900. I liked the gun and thought it worthy of a rebuild. 1st photos are after I worked on it some and got it shooting again. The 2nd set of photos are after Alan Harton finished the project. Alan completely re-stamped the gun, welded up and recut the over buffed edges, re-contoured the cylinder to mimic a 1900 cylinder. I had rechambered and fit a 38 2nd Gen cylinder previous, that was cut to the correct .45 specs. Alan then sighted the gun in again before the new carbona blue and color case. I wasn't looking for a museum piece just a nice looking 1st Gen that wouldn't beat itself to death in my life time, would be safe to shoot and accurate. I got what I asked for. Only decision now is do I shoot with the pearl or the carved ivory :)

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
To each his own but I think Mr. Harton is the best...................Period.
You Texas boys sure stick together...Harton and Persinger and SC Strain :cool: I get it, my Dad was born in Paris.
I didn't even know this one was done when I sent him and Persinger both another gun on Saturday. So I am voting with my wallet :bang_wall:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Two of my most unique customs were done by Alan simply because of his skill. The first was him totally rebuilding a Ruger 357 Maximum into a Freedom Arms top strap configuration for a 5 sot 414 Supermag so I could us a FA Lovell Scope mount and the second was when I sent him a box of parts and he turned it into an ivory stocked TLA Improved #5 in 41 magnum. He does amazing work and now that he is focusing on just Colt and Colt style guns he is enjoying life even more he says.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As Bob already knows..his 38 is the reason my first gun went to Alan...and another one to rebuild since. And as Bob said, Alan is a really nice guy. He's been super easy to work with.

·
Premium Member
19,145 Posts
What is the cost for redoing an old SAA that needs some welding and refinishing? I would think that would be quite expensive these days.
I have a well worn long flute SAA that I would like to have 'made new.'

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
saintclair said:
What is the cost for redoing an old SAA that needs some welding and refinishing?...
Price is based on two things from what I have learned. 1st is who is doing the work. I can think of three craftsman/shops off hand that offer their services for these guns. 2nd? The condition of the gun you want refurbished and your expectations.

·
Premium Member
19,145 Posts
Price is based on two things from what I have learned. 1st is who is doing the work. I can think of three craftsman/shops off hand that offer their services for these guns. 2nd? The condition of the gun you want refurbished and your expectations.
I was just looking for a 'ballpark' figure. If one has an old SAA that cost $1500, does the refurbish cost another $1500 or $2000 or much greater.
It is very unlikely that a refurbished older Colt could be worth much more than $3500. Of course, if the SAA has family history, some people would be willing to pay more due to sentimental value.
I always admired the refurbishment that Dave Lanara did on the long flute SAA that Hugh Clark owned. That gun had some important Texas history associated with it.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
saintclair said:
I was just looking for a 'ballpark' figure...….
That is like walking on to a car lot and asking "what is the ball park figure" for a car. Depends on the car lot and condition of the car.

Best to send some jpegs of the gun to the person you want to do the work and ask for a estimate. I doubt anyone besides the shop doing the restoration is ever going to make any money off these guns. Most will always be worth more to any collector untouched.

I have three 1st Gen guns out to Alan at the moment. Have yet to see a bill or get a gun back. I expect three widely different bills for the three finished guns. Alan is up front on how he charges, it is by the hr. Been a long time since I had Dave Lanara do a gun for me and I don't remember how he charged me...and I likely didn't know at the time what to ask, besides, "how much". Every gun needs something different. And even that changes depending on just how handy you are working on your own guns before sending it to him/them. Turnbull will give you a quick estimate via email or on the phone, which is usually from my experience about double or more of what it should cost. They do nice work however :)

I fit a new, re-bored cylinder, did the timing, trigger work, and had the original hammer welded up prior to sending this one to Alan. Hand full of C notes just getting that done. But cheaper to do it myself than farm it out.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
This was a beater 1900 I took in in trade some time back. It came to me unusable with Uberti internals, an un-shootable cylinder, a badly welded up hammer, and worst of all a heavily over buffed, nickel job.

Gun lettered blue and case, shipped to Denver 1900. I liked the gun and thought it worthy of a rebuild. 1st photos are after I worked on it some and got it shooting again. The 2nd set of photos are after Alan Harton finished the project. Alan completely re-stamped the gun, welded up and recut the over buffed edges, re-contoured the cylinder to mimic a 1900 cylinder. I had rechambered and fit a 38 2nd Gen cylinder previous, that was cut to the correct .45 specs. Alan then sighted the gun in again before the new carbona blue and color case. I wasn't looking for a museum piece just a nice looking 1st Gen that wouldn't beat itself to death in my life time, would be safe to shoot and accurate. I got what I asked for. Only decision now is do I shoot with the pearl or the carved ivory :)

Alan does some great work, as seen here. Unless you don't mind chipping those grips, don't shoot this SAA with pearls.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Over the past few years, Alan Harton has done several Colt SAA gunsmithing projects for me, one of which was a major SAA rebuild. In my opinion, he is the best SAA gunsmith currently in practice. My experience has convinced me that he is the most knowledgeable of the Colt SAA mechanism. Mr. Harton is patient in explaining things, a pleasure to talk to, and his work is impeccable.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If you go to "Gunblast" (on-line mag) and put in Alan's name, there's a great article and lots of photos of a Colt SAA that was literally blown up and later rebuilt by Alan. Incredible work.
Bob

·
Registered
83 Posts
yes.. Dave did an amazing job. Its a beautiful gun. We still have it. Letters as two shipped to the Adjutant General. I reached out to a Texas archive company and they pulled the log dated 1915 when the State of Texas bought them for $16ea...crazy

1 - 20 of 32 Posts