Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A big thank to Mentallapse for finding this one in his travels. I brought this one home to where she originally shipped in 1949 - a dual tone 6" Official Police. I have nothing to lead me to think it was an LE gun, other than my imagination. It did ship to a building that is currently right across the street from the current police HQ. Adding the old ammo and badge to the mix, just makes me write its story a bit more......who knows... Technically it should have the colored plastic Coltwood grips I believe but these older wood panels I had look good as well. It came with a fantastic set of Diamondback grips that will set aside for the correct gun some day as well perhaps.
Calipers Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Revolver

Font Audio equipment Pen Automotive lighting Electronic device

Tool Bicycle part Revolver Auto part Gun accessory

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gas

Font Terrestrial plant Circle Paper Document

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Stocks look good , real good ! What a bring back , to your Alaska.
The props are cool too , and obviously the real mc Coy , Inspector .
Across the street huh , how cool is that . I’d make a glass topped coffee table , and display that hometown history - letter and all .

Randy is a Colt forum treasure too - like I recently posted... connections are king !
Congrats on a cool find , in more ways than one .

Guess you be needin another Diamondback, so them d frame stocks ain’t feeling homeless

·
Premium Member
5,867 Posts
Great pick-up. Very nice history as well. Thanks for sharing it with us. 👍👍

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
What is interesting about that Colt letter is that it shipped in 1949 and still letters with the generic .38/c caliber designation of the pre-war years. Conventional wisdom and info I vaguely recall from Paul holds that after WW II a new system of invoicing resulted in more precise caliber designations, particularly .38 Special on the OP, as on the letter for the early OP (on Commando frame) from 1946 below (not my gun or letter).

Font Circle Number Paper product Event

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is interesting about that Colt letter is that it shipped in 1949 and still letters with the generic .38/c caliber designation of the pre-war years. Conventional wisdom and info I vaguely recall from Paul holds that after WW II a new system of invoicing resulted in more precise caliber designations, particularly .38 Special on the OP, as on the letter for the early OP (on Commando frame) from 1946 below (not my gun or letter).

View attachment 787121
That is interesting for sure - this letter was recently done but perhaps I should ask about manufacture date vs shipping dates and see if there's something of note.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts