Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asked this question over at Arfcom; who makes a decent trigger for the M16A1 replica I was building?
Several guys there pointed out a new product that Brownells is handling, the ALG combat trigger. It is reputedly GI spec, and comes in two versions. One is reputedly GI-like without the crunchy effect, and the other has been cleaned up even further. Prices are in the $45-$65 range; breakweights are reputed to be 6.5-6lbs, but creep free.
I'll reserve judgement 'till the trigger is in my gun, but several posters felt it had merit.
So ya' know, my A1 repro has a NOS Colt upper, but a NoDakSpud retro lower.
Moon

ETA- I first attempted to solve the problem with a JARD 4.5 lb trigger purchased at a gunshow from a thoro'ly unscrupulous vendor; neither he nor JARD seems in a particular hurry to stand behind their product, tho' I'm still trying to give them a chance.
The JARD trigger is marked as a 'LE trigger system'; breakweight is far more than 4.5 lbs, and the pull is crunchy and grunchy; far worse than a stock trigger. Apparently they were sold off to CDNN, tho' it's not clear how the yahoo at the gunshow came in to possession of it.
More to follow,
M

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, update. The ALG Combat Trigger arrived today from Brownells, and it spent approximately half an hour in my gun before it was removed and repacked for return. I was really disappointed, as there was consideralble creep and roughness in the trigger pull; it was very little of an improvement over any standard trigger.
Some good news; I was finally able to hook up with the vendor who sold me the even more unsatisfactory JARD trigger, and he has promised me a refund. Once everything falls into place, I'll share his name and business. He sounds like a man as good as his word.
After all this, I'm going to simply go for a Geissele SSA and have done with it; it's a reliable, clean breaking trigger, even if it isn't technically 'period correct' for my retro gun.
Brownell's was helpful as always about the return, and I ordered the SSA from them as well.
So it goes,
Moon

·
Registered
15 Posts
You won't go wrong with the Geissele. I dropped a Match trigger in my CR6724 yesterday and the comparison is like night and day. I am saving my money now to get a SSA from them to put in my 6940. I guess the old cliche "you get what you pay for " really applys to the Geissele.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You made the right move halfmoon, the SSA is a fine trigger. Please keep us updated on your situation.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You won't go wrong with the Geissele. I dropped a Match trigger in my CR6724 yesterday and the comparison is like night and day. I am saving my money now to get a SSA from them to put in my 6940. I guess the old cliche "you get what you pay for " really applys to the Geissele.
Unhappily, Skerj, there does not appear to be a free lunch when it comes to triggers. My motive in looking for an alternative to the SSA (which I run in some other rifles) was cost, and also an effort to be 'period correct' in the A1 replica with a single stage.
If I wasn't able to shoot the SSA-triggered guns so much better than the alternatives, it would also be different matter.
I've got two Colt carbines (6450 & 6250); liked everything about them but the triggers.
I understand that Geissele has a single stage 3lb trigger, but it is somewhere well north of $200, and that is deeper than I wanted to dig.
Moon

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You made the right move halfmoon, the SSA is a fine trigger. Please keep us updated on your situation.
Thanks, Will. Yet to hear a bad word about the SSA. I'll post here, but already know the SSA will work just fine in the retro gun. Had one in there, and cannibalized it for the 9mm carbine. Even the folks at Geissele weren't sure how it would work in the 9mm, so I thought I'd try it awhile before buying another one.
It's hard to express the difference a good trigger makes.
Moon

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered from Brownells on Friday and it showed up in my mailbox today; usual great/quick service. Took ten minutes to pop it in the A1; four pounds total breakweight; two in the first stage, two in the second. Not right for 1970, but too damn nice a trigger to not use; do like rifles I can hit things with, and the SSA is definitely part of that program.
So just do it guys; Mr. Geissele never gives stuff away cheap, but his triggers are absolutely hard to beat, and can be counted on to work as advertised.
Moon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts