Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Remember me? I'm the guy with the weak-springed .357 and the, "slipped disc," OP? Well, Sir, I'm not sure why the wise man said, "It's not enough for me to be successful but my enemy must also be unsuccessful!" But there is some comfort in it. Read a piece today at another site dealing with the Lew Horton/S&W .44 special. The writer described its 6 pound plus trigger pull and 12 double pull and how he was delighted - after he snipped a coil from the mainspring! Well, I HAD been looking at the .38 version and the .22 ... They cost a whale of alot more than my .357 did - AND they're ugly. My Colt can beat up his Smith & Wesson, ja sure, youbetcha! I may have gotten bit on the butt by the mosquito but the poor bugger that paid $1,000+ for this S&W PERFORMANCE CENTER piece got sat on by the elephant of bad luck. Too bad, too ... I really did like the looks of the thing ... it's got a non-he-man grip that I think I could learn to love and a McGivern ridiculously high front sight blade. But, now we'll NEVER know!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can only hope that if Colt ever has a remake of their classic double action revolvers that they don't abominate them like Smith did. Their case hardened frames look hideous but that is just my opinion and maybe they are selling like hotcakes. Colt's history with the SAA and 1911 would seem to indicate they won't do that. Except for the sights, their reissue of the classic 1911s is quite encouraging.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AHA! Mr. Cobra, have you seen and handled - shot? - any of the, "reissue," 1911A1's or the 1911? I've seen them talked about and a picture here and there but no dealers here stock them around here. Buying a +/- $1,000 .45 WOULD change all my revolver plans, but ... I'm flexible! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColtCobra:
I can only hope that if Colt ever has a remake of their classic double action revolvers that they don't abominate them like Smith did. Their case hardened frames look hideous but that is just my opinion and maybe they are selling like hotcakes. Colt's history with the SAA and 1911 would seem to indicate they won't do that. Except for the sights, their reissue of the classic 1911s is quite encouraging.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
178 Posts
No Mr. rcwambold, I have not encountered any "in person". The cost of the new guns (and old ones for that matter) rather discourage my purchasing on whimsy any longer. I have four 1911s, two Colt and two Springfields and there comes a point where I just cannot rationalize buying more at today's prices. As a traditionalist, I am not into all the modifications currently in vogue, so I applaud Colt's effort to market a traditional 1911. If good fortune should befall me and I win the lottery, you damn well better believe I would buy 'some' though. Cheers. Ben

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re S&W tuning-

I'd not pay too much attention to someone that talks about snipping a coil from a Smith mainspring. THe mainspring in K, L, & N frame Smiths is a flat, leaf style spring.

The rebound spring can be clipped as part of a trigger pull project, but IMO, a smarter choice is to get the spring you want from Wolff Gunsprings. This outfit offers a series of springs in different "weights" at a very reasonable price.

Insofar as the quality of "reproductions" goes I have seen a S&W performance center revolver (a 25-10) that was supposed (I take it) to be in the style of period hand ejectors. Fit and finish don't approach the quality of an ordinary triplelock which can be had for about the same investment.

Were Colt to produce today the New Service Target to the standards of the original I'd estimate that we would be looking at an approximate $5000 price point. Korth territory.

Bob

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, bfoster! Well, heck ... you know, in all fairness to the man that wrote that article I quoted, it MAY HAVE been the return spring he mentioned. If I could remember where I read it, I'd quote the source. But I AM sure about the 6 and 12 pound pulls. That's hardly anything to brag about for my money. I am kind of ashamed of myself here ... In the first place, I SHOULD'VE known that Smiths are leaf springs, too - and the second place, I should've paid closer attention to what spring he was talking about before I went and smeared him in print! I am for sure he mentioned clipping one coil from A spring. As always, thanks for your words and wisdom!QUOTE]Originally posted by bfoster:
Re S&W tuning-

I'd not pay too much attention to someone that talks about snipping a coil from a Smith mainspring. THe mainspring in K, L, & N frame Smiths is a flat, leaf style spring.

The rebound spring can be clipped as part of a trigger pull project, but IMO, a smarter choice is to get the spring you want from Wolff Gunsprings. This outfit offers a series of springs in different "weights" at a very reasonable price.

Insofar as the quality of "reproductions" goes I have seen a S&W performance center revolver (a 25-10) that was supposed (I take it) to be in the style of period hand ejectors. Fit and finish don't approach the quality of an ordinary triplelock which can be had for about the same investment.

Were Colt to produce today the New Service Target to the standards of the original I'd estimate that we would be looking at an approximate $5000 price point. Korth territory.

Bob
[/QUOTE]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts