Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Another examination and opinion request from the peacemaker 22 experts. priced and advertised to be an all original.. but is it? The paperwork is of the two piece tan box era isn't it, or was there any of the brochure type paperwork ever sent with the styrofoam boxes. Since there is no photo of the box label then I can't be sure about the box. What's with the blue cylinder bag? Was that Ruger or did Colt actually have blue cylinder bags?
I'm sure this will sell regardless .. its under 1K on Gbroker.

Colt Peacemaker 22 4.4 Barrel unfired : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Premium Member
Well - the cheesy gold lettering is most likely not original. None of my dual cylinder guns have the extra cylinder in a blue bag. Looks like the kind of bag Eagle Grips ships their stocks in.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
pretty sure that yellow hang tag sposta have yellow string too. the orange tags had white string. If that's some sort of replacement barrel (who knows?) with that gold lettering, then this is adding up to be another operation "project original" Colt.

Premium Member
Easy to buy a Gold Fill Kit and gold fills the letters. Brownells sells the kits. A toothbrush and some Hoppes #9 or acetone will easily remove the gold fill and not harm the bluing. I do think the early NF .22s and Peacemaker .22s had the extra cylinder in a small box. By the time of the styrofoam inserts the extra cylinder may have been in a small plastic bag like the gun.

Registered
Something doesn't look right about the styrofoam box in photo 2.The top with the paperwork isn't a match to the bottom that the gun is displayed in.The Colt logo and cylinder location is different.D*

Banned
I'm with you D*...something isn't matching up. As far as the blue baggie deal for the other cylinder I don't believe that is Colt original. Putting packages together is becoming quite an artform, eh? :)

Registered
The two foam halves are placed to read the Colt logo. To be matched together, one would be upside down. The bag is probably just "thrown in'.

Premium Member
The tan styrofoam and odd colored external sleeve would be original to a gun shipped in 1974. Colt only used those for about 1 year. Without the serial number of the gun and a photo of the label, it's impossible to say if the box is really original.

The blue bag is not Colt. The yellow hang tag was not used until later production (and should have thin yellow string). The Peacemaker manual is probably dated 1972. Colt used a smaller blue manual for the styrofoam box guns. It was designed to fit in the recessed space at the left end of the box. However, it is possible that the manual in the photo was shipped with this gun (assuming it was shipped in 1974). The warranty card looks right. Gary French was not president of Colt until 1981, so the form letter is not original to a 1970's gun.

- - - Buckspen

Registered
Hi, new member here, ( I need to put some info on my profile, which I will do this weekend) ; I have a ? about this particular gun...So, is the gold lettering on the barrel an Original finish on this gun or not ?. I just acquired a similiar gun in remarkablly good condition ( serial # 14xxx) which has this same gold lettering. My new gun is a shooter: no box, no mag. cyclinder, perfect colors, bluing, and bore ( I am very excited about this little revolver and can't wait to see my wife shoot it on the range tomorrow.)

SittingBull ( I shoot a lot of things, but mostly the bull...)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the Forum SittingBull. To my knowledge and most importantly, Don Wilkerson's knowledge, as his is published in Don Wilkerson's book on Scouts, New Frontiers, and Peacemakers.. I have not read anything about factory barrels having gold lettering at all. Buck may care to comment on the how/why these barrels end up with gold lettering. As Colt75 stated, Brownells sells the kit to do this. As a collector, if it could be made back into its original condition (remove the gold lettering) without damaging or detecting that it was done, then I would do that. For a Colt or really any gun to hold its maximum value, it has to stay in its original factory condition. re-bluing , gold plating, re-nickeling , cleaning off rust (regarding the 1st generation guns especially), all reduce value. Not to say that people should never do it. If a person is not a collector and just wants a gun to look better then by all means, gold lettering probably looks okay. Me personally, I don't want a Colt that looks like a commemorative..especially if its not. Also, there is the case where the parts on a Colt are not original and its in bad shape, then it would add value back to the gun to have it professionally reconditioned in some cases.
I hope you have all good experiences with your newly acquired Colt SittingBull. I don't want all safe queens either. These pistols are just too enjoyable to plink and put holes in targets with.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your input on this one Buckspen. This particular seller, with only 9 transactions, may not even know that most of his extras with the gun are not original if he purchased it this way. Without photos of the box label or better detail photos of the gun, its hard to say what this package is worth IMO, other than its not meeting the mark asked.

Registered
Thanks for your input on this one Buckspen. This particular seller, with only 9 transactions, may not even know that most of his extras with the gun are not original if he purchased it this way. Without photos of the box label or better detail photos of the gun, its hard to say what this package is worth IMO, other than its not meeting the mark asked.
When no one bids, it's a sure sign of something isn't right with the item...I am new to collecting and I do alot of research before I bid on anything. I look at manty things, not just the photos. I research the history of the model, the average prices paid for it lately, and who else mahy be bidding. I also go gto other site that publish classified and see howw much asking prices are for similar items. Sometime I find the same model being auctioned off on GB, all things beinig about equal, in a classified ad for less money. I always have to add shipping and my FFL charges of $25 per item to take possession. I also make offers to classified and some come back with counter offers. I try to use all of these sources to get what I am interested in. I also find it just as easy to sell under classifieds rather than an auction where the item may or may not sell.

Good luck in your collecting, it surely is addicting....My wife thinks I am nuts....and just maybe I am,..... for COLTS!

Premium Member
Colt did not ship Peacemaker .22 or New Frontier .22 revolvers with gold lettering. The gun in the auction in question here has had the lettering filled with the gold stuff from an aftermarket kit. It is easily removed. I've seen guns like this with gold lettering and with white lettering. It is usually done so you can read the barrel inscriptions in photos.
It is likely that the seller of this gun doesn't know all of the little details about the paperwork. After all, most sellers just want to sell. They really don't care about the nitty-gritty details that we hash over all the time.
It actually appears to be a pretty nice gun. If the box is original, I wouldn't worry too much about the paperwork. That stuff can always be added later. The box with the serial numbered label is the important thing.

- - Buckspen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts