Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3 Nice Colts for sale as follows. These guns have all been in my collection for many years.
  1. **SPF** Colt Police Positive Special in .38 Special with 5” bbl. Coltwood stocks. Serial 555853 making it manufactured around 1950. Correct box, but the faintly written number on the bottom appears to be 555841. VPI paper, “Shooting Suggestions” pamphlet, and twist wire cleaning brush which appears unused. Revolver is in excellent condition. I have never fired it. No cylinder turn line. This one has the Duo-Tone post-war Colt finish with the cylinder flutes, top and bottom frame surfaces in matte finish with the rest in high polish blue. Box is in excellent condition with sound corners and only a few scrapes. No factory letter. Price $775 including shipping.

2. **SPF** Colt Official Police in .38 Special with 4” bbl. Serial 716683 which indicates a manufacture date of about 1944 during WW2. Checkered walnut Colt stocks. This revolver has what I believe are factory roll-markings on the butt of “N.B.P.D No. 73”. These markings identify a police department and revolver number. I suspect that they are the markings for the New Britain, Conn. Police Department, but I never bothered to confirm that by factory letter. In very good+ condition, and much better shape than most former police guns are seen in today. This gun saw very little use as a police weapon. There are a few small scratches on one side of the cylinder which I have tried to illustrate in a photo below. No box. Price $495 including shipping.

3. **SPF** Colt Challenger pistol in .22 LR with 6” bbl. Serial 8732-C indicating a manufacture date of around 1950. Coltwood stocks. In very good+ condition. The box is numbered on the underside to the pistol but is tattered and missing some of the sides of the top. Comes with the Challenger Instruction sheet and VPI paper. No brush or factory letter. Note that the Colt-marked magazine is a replacement from, I believe, a later Woodsman. Price is $525 including shipping.

The details are these: Payment is by Money Order or certified funds, please. No Paypal (it is not gun friendly). If you are a member of the S&W Collectors Association I will accept your personal check. The buyer will have 3-day, non-firing, no-disassembly inspection period. If returned the gun will be returned in the same condition as seen in the photos with the buyer to pay for return shipping. These guns are so nice I really have no concerns about a return. However, my reputation is far more important to me than any sale so if you don’t like the gun you bought let me know right away.

All 3 guns qualify for C+R status so if you have a C+R FFL you can purchase them directly. Otherwise, I will need to receive your dealer’s signed FFL with the shipment going to your dealer. You are responsible for insuring that your purchase complies with your local laws.

The first person who posts here with an unequivocal “I’ll take it” is the buyer. Please do not send me Private Messages through the Forum as I don’t monitor those often. Instead, please email me directly at [email protected] and remove the NOSPAM reference. I monitor my email frequently and would be happy to answer any questions. You will get a much faster response if you email me rather than sending me a PM. I am located in Florida.

Thanks for looking.

Regards,
Charlie

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Colt Challenger and the Colt Police Positive Special are sold to John Fugate. Thank you, John.

The Official Police is still available.

Regards,
Charlie

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Charlie, since the guns are sold I'm gonna stretch the rules on comments in the Classifieds.
Is it possible the O.P. was from the New Brunswick (N.J.) P.D.? Are you sure it was from New Britain, Conn?
I was tempted to buy it. My uncle was the D.A. for Middlesex Cnty NJ in the late 50s. The county seat is New Brunswick, and their police used 4" O.P.s

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it possible the O.P. was from the New Brunswick (N.J.) P.D.? Are you sure it was from New Britain, Conn?
Hi Malysh:

Yes, it is entirely possible. As I said above I suspect - but don't know for sure - that this was from the New Britain, Conn. PD but have no factory letter or other evidence to support that so my suspicion is just a guess. New Brunswick, NJ is just as possible. So is New Braunfels, TX, as is New Bedford, Mass. There are a lot of possibilities that I thought of over the years. The mystery will only be solved if a factory letter is obtained by the new owner.

Regards,
Charlie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts