Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
12,840 Posts
I think you should Shoot it! Do a 'Range Report'!

It'd be fun, and, you are not going to hurt it using the Black Powder and pure Lead Balls it was meant for.

It sure looks to be in nice shape, inside and out!

Nice Workmanship...fun to see the innards on one of those.

The 'Lucky 13' is an Assembly Number...( I do not remember ever seeing much of anything for Serial Numbers on any guns of that period ).

· Registered
12,840 Posts
Yes...it is 'Double Action'.

One would not cock the Hammer manually.

I have a same time period Allen and Wheelock Revolver which is not a Pepperbox, but, from the breech back is about the same.

DA only, a 'Flat' or Mule Ear Hammer.

I imagine many fellows carried these as Back-Up, in the War of Federal Aggression.

· Registered
12,840 Posts
Sam'l Colt's original prospective Revolving Pistol Model, ( which aside from prototypes, was not produced ) was Double Action...prior to the 'Patterson' ( which was Single Action ).

So, indeed, Revolver wise, SA and DA appear to have been neck and neck from the beginning, even if the various primary Manufactures apparently ended up mostly settling on SA for most of the Percussion era.

· Registered
12,840 Posts
Now I am waitin' on twait's "Range Report" even more than I was already!

I will go dig out my .31 Calibre Allen & Wheelock Percussion Revolver, and locate my Mould and Caps and Powder, and do a Range Report with it also, just to practice what I preach, and, so twaits won't feel all out there by himself, doing such a thing.

We'll see who can hit the Thumbtack at ten Paces, too! ( besides not me ).

· Registered
12,840 Posts
Hi twaits,

I got the little .31 Calibre Allen & Wheelock Revolver on Gunbroker a couple years ago.

They never made very many of them of course, but, they are on Gunbroker fairly regularly.

Timing and Lock-Up on mine are pretty decent, Nipples are nice, Bores could use a good cleaning, so, all in all, I would expect it to be a decent Shooter.

I expect these were close up Guns, Pocket Guns too ( with their Hammer design ). Mine does not appear to have ever had a Front Sight...or a Rear Sight, either. Meant to be fired at waist level I imagine.

· Registered
12,840 Posts
Are you sure the Nipples are not replaceable on yours twaits?

No 'flats' on their sides?

I would be very surprised if they had made it that way...and for lots of reasons.

Have another peek...let us know...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.