Colt Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2,775 Posts
Somebody was demonstrating one of these on TV some time back, and as luck would have it, the gun cross fired. For a minute, a revolver went full auto!

That's a beauty of a gun, someone recently brought one to my church to show me. There is just something impressive about those.

Well done!

Bob Wright

· Registered
1,522 Posts
I will wager they had poor fitting ( over size ) Caps, and or poor fitting ( undersize ) Balls...or both!
I don't see what their headgear or gonad size has to do with it at all!
Don't be so crude!:rolleyes:

· Registered
1,122 Posts
My pepperbox is not as nice as Twaits' but is interesting insofar as it is also a double action but with a different firing mechanism. A hinged hook attached to the ring trigger engages a slot in the hammer and drags it back then releases it at the end of the trigger travel, firing the bottom barrel.
Markings are "J R Coopers Patent" and has British proof marks and no visible numbers.

From the internet: Joseph Rock Cooper 1838-63. Birmingham Gun & Pistol maker 24 Legge St. 1838-54, Woodcock St. and 77 Baggot St.
Many designs for improved guns and pistols but probably best known for his improved pepperbox revolving pistol. Continued as Cooper & Goodman until 1886, which company were War Office Contractors and made amongst other things P'53 Rifles including commercial versions for the ACW.

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Pipe

· Registered
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My pepperbox is not as nice as Twaits' but is interesting insofar as it is also a double action but with a different firing mechanism. A hinged hook attached to the ring trigger engages a slot in the hammer and drags it back then releases it at the end of the trigger travel, firing the bottom barrel.
Markings are "J R Coopers Patent" and has British proof marks and no visible numbers.

From the internet: Joseph Rock Cooper 1838-63. Birmingham Gun & Pistol maker 24 Legge St. 1838-54, Woodcock St. and 77 Baggot St.
Many designs for improved guns and pistols but probably best known for his improved pepperbox revolving pistol. Continued as Cooper & Goodman until 1886, which company were War Office Contractors and made amongst other things P'53 Rifles including commercial versions for the ACW.

View attachment 42412
Looks like the Blunt and Syms pepperboxes. I was wondering how that firing mechanism worked. There was a pretty nice Blunt and Syms on gunbroker a couple weeks ago for a nice price. I considered picking it up but someone hit buy now pretty quickly on it. What I like about it is the nipples are removable. On the Allen I have they are not. They are milled right into the barrel cluster which is a pretty poor design. I guess it was meant to be thrown away after the nipples were worn out. My hammer doesn't come in full contact with the nipples so it might not fire at all. I don't know how much airspace is between the hammer and the nipple but if it is very much I'm guessing it wont fire.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.