Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I've never made stocks from it. I don't think I've ever seen a raw blank big enough to make revolver stocks, but maybe 1911 grip panels. I've used it for stringing on boxes, etc. It's not very hard and easy to work. It must be sealed to retain it's color. Very nice accent wood (and obviously, makes beautiful stocks)!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is considered similar to beech and sycamore. Supposed to be good for carving, but it is prone to checking.

I didn't realize how similar it was to Ivory until it came in today. It does have very similar grain and appearance. Not lines on the end like Ivory, but other than that it is extremely similar.

·
Registered
150 Posts
American holly is beautiful wood. As others have said, the coloration can mimic aged ivory. My father and brother were/are wood-turners and holly turns nicely. Makes pretty things, but we usually have to settle for small sized items since larger blanks are almost non-existent. I have three 60 year old trees on a piece of family property that I am watching. I plan on harvesting these one year and hope to get some blanks for grips.
I respectfully suggest that it is many rungs up the ladder ahead of pine.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Holly isn’t by any stretch remotely soft. It’s used as handles for the finest of art grade woodworking and turning and carving chisels in particular. Many mallets and chisels to be hammered are used with holly. Arbor vitea and ebony would be harder and also used for same decorative/purposeful for durability in wood tool handles and mallets but even more prone to checking and again sizable pieces especially real ebony sold by the pound. I have two blanks of real ebony with a fitter now just need to pick what to put them on but he hates working with it as metal
is easier lol. Anyway holly has a tight grain like ivory and very light like aged ivory and if cured correct to help lessen it being prone to crack it’s beautiful .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts