Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks a go a bought a Colt 2nd SAA in about 98% condition and in good firing shape. I haven't fired a Colt 45 SAA in 40 years and I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about what ammo I can use safely in this revolver. I bought some 255 grain lead nose Winchester target rounds and that seems pretty safe to me. But I also see commercial ammo on line rated P+. Can I shoot this in my SAA? Also, with the recent advent of many rifles chambered in 45 Colt, is any 45 ammo specifically made for rifles only? Stuff I shouldn't shoot in my SAA...This is a really nice Colt and I don't want to risk it's safety or mine shooting the wrong 45 Colt ammo. Any direction will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Your Winchester 255's are just fine, stick with them. There is no need to beat up a SAA with +P stuff. If you handload there are heavy loads listed for rifles, but look at buffalobore.com for their standard and hot offerings.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
For "shooting" loads, get some of the Cowboy Action Shooting ammo made by most manufacturers. They are on the mild side and shoot great.

Better yet, begin reloading; to me I enjoy reloading. Some folks don't, but the low cost way is the Lee Handloader. all operations are manual, takes more time, but you get reloads very cheap so you can shoot more often. I began reloading almost 50 years ago and my first "kit" was the little Lee Handloader and they work fine!

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
The Winchester 255 lead bullet has been loaded forever and is a standard pressure load. Rated ballistics out of a 5 1/2 barrel are about 850 FPS. It's is replicated with 7.1 grains of Win. 231 powder.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hornady makes a 45 Colt round for lever action rifles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts