Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably about to buy a .38 Police Positive -- pre "special"... probably made around 1915 or so. It's in decent shape, but, newbie me just found out that a .38 is not necessarily a .38, or a 380 even. And definitely not a "Special". I put the $40 down on it (I know, dumb me /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) to hold it -- and I lose it if I don't buy it. So I'm trying to decide whether or not to eat the $40 or go ahead and spend the rest of the $200.

I'm scouring the web for what ammo one can shoot out of one -- and it looks like .38 S&W's made by Remington might work. I have found several websites that say the older models shoot .38 S&W's, and even one where a guy says they even fire reasonably accurately from the gun. Every shot in the black at 20 yards for him.

Looks like Remington's .38 S&W's are fairly readily available, though maybe not at your local Wally World or even Bass Pro. Mail order, though, at least. The gun has a bit of charm to it in addition to its defense value -- it's in great shape and passed all my tests from the "how to buy a handgun" (except for the "make sure you can buy ammo for it first" test /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ). The price is well within my price range -- which was a third feature.

Can anybody help shed some light on this for me?

-P

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an early Police Positive .38, a little older than yours. Serial # dates mine to approx. 1911. I shoot the .38S&W (short) from it with no problem. We cross-referenced the ammo using "Cartridges of the World" to make sure it was safe, before I purchased the little Colt. I also made sure that the Colt passed a gunsmith's inspection, first. It's visually "rough" but mechanically in very good condition.

In addition, I have an Enfield No. 2 Mk. 1* that handles the .38S&W (also as an alternative ammo), so I just tend to stock up whenever there's a local gun show.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks -- wow, you guys are quick. Thanks to the link to the thread.

I was starting to feel fairly sure of myself on the ammo after extensive web-searching -- but this pretty much cinches it. I think I will order some. I can pick the gun up as early as tomorrow -- but I won't be firing it until some ammo shows up. I'll check a couple of local dealers tomorrow.

I see where people are able to date their guns by serial number -- I found a website and did this with my Marlin 22 rifle .... where can I find a place to date this gun? (in the 106XXX range)

-P

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Not one of the crazies, although I did go to a concert on the Parrothead Club bus, but definitely a fan of the older stuff. However, the handle was based on the road and was not actually thinking album at the time. If I were, I would probably be Floridays. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just received one today made in 21 for $174.00 including shiping that is 85% and 100% mechanicaly but i have a C&R.
Buy it you will love it.Mine is my third 38 and i have 2 specials and one 32

·
Registered
74 Posts
Philmon, whether it's a special or not, you should look into loading your own ammo. With a revolver, it is especially satisfying.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually AM thinking about doing my own reloads... after all, with a revolver you don't really have to chase after your brass anyway. And there's a guy who'll sell me a reloader... but I'll have to make sure I get the right size die. Can anyone help me with that? What I need and where to get it? I don't know much about the reloader yet except that it isn't a single-jobbie. 4... um "holders" (see, I don't even know the terminology yet). Stations ... uh... "places where you put a component and it turns 1/4 turn each time you press".

Oh, I'm not a CRAZY parrothead, either. Just a big fan. Actually never been to a Buffett concert. But he gets played a lot around here. On my stereo AND my guitar.

-P

Ok, I'm buying the gun today.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I glad you warmed up to your Police Positive purchase. You'll enjoy owning and shooting it. I like the little Police Positive and I like the .38 S&W cartridge. I'd feel as confident with it as I would the .380, though I know that flies in the face of conventional wisdom. I second the suggestion that you handload for your acquisition. It's easy and rewarding. Though there is some controversy concerning utilization of handloads for self defense, the simple expedient of substituting a lead wadcutter or semiwadcutter would give a modicum of increased effectiveness to the cartridge without any need to jazz it up with a hot powder charge. An assailant could be said to be having a bad day if he was fairly struck with the factory .38 S&W load. I would think he'd be more interested in getting to a hospital than continuing an attack.

The .38 Short Colt, which may be fired in these revolvers, is pretty anemic, featuring a light bullet and very low velocity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts