Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I migrated back to 45 from 9mm and just bought a nice gun in 45, my 2nd. But the prices!, you shoot a lot for Carry to get well-used to the gun, yoiks!
My range used to do great reloads and VERY reasonable - from industrial reloaders - but they're very busy lately and it will be a long time before the reloads are available.

If you have places online you could recommend for good bulk ammo - I'd prefer name-brands - I'd appreciate it. I do know Natchez and Ammunition to Go.

Thanks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
For me the best place to buy ammo is gunbroker..i keep an eye out for the calibers i need and buy when i see a good price..stock up on it..i just purchased 650 rounds of .32 acp for $125 shipped..not to bad..also picked up a bunch of .22 ammo real cheap..but it does take work..

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Have you looked at sportsmansguide.com, cheaperthandirt.com and luckygunner.com?

I have not looked there in a long time, but they used to have great prices on a wide variety of ammo.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Unfortunately, CTD's prices have risen as have most, perhaps not AS rapidly. Ammo has gone the way of meat pricing where it's a penny less a round/pound than "xyz" competitor. CDNN has been known to have some pretty decent sales and it's easy to register to buy ammo from them, online form and fax/email them copy of your ID and call for comfirmation that you are good. Once in their system you can call and they speedily ship to your doorstep. The best option, naturally, is reloading. If you don't want or can reload see if a friend who does will load for you or you can "help" in the process. My FFL buddy has the whole setup and was going to assist me in reloading until he started another company hauling frack water from drill sites. There went his free time. I've resorted to keeping a list by the computer of calibers I need and then start visiting all the online stores/options. PITA but occassionally get lucky. Whew, more long winded than I thought, sorry. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think the best thing to do is just web shop, dont gamble on the supplier you used last time to be the cheapest again. Also I have found that suppliers some time play what I call high/low, They are low priced on one caliber and high on another, so if you have more than one caliber you want to purchase, they have you in their pocket so to speak. Ive had good luck with AbleAmmo and Sportsman Warehouse

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately, CTD's prices have risen as have most, perhaps not AS rapidly. Ammo has gone the way of meat pricing where it's a penny less a round/pound than "xyz" competitor. CDNN has been known to have some pretty decent sales and it's easy to register to buy ammo from them, online form and fax/email them copy of your ID and call for comfirmation that you are good. Once in their system you can call and they speedily ship to your doorstep. The best option, naturally, is reloading. If you don't want or can reload see if a friend who does will load for you or you can "help" in the process. My FFL buddy has the whole setup and was going to assist me in reloading until he started another company hauling frack water from drill sites. There went his free time. I've resorted to keeping a list by the computer of calibers I need and then start visiting all the online stores/options. PITA but occassionally get lucky. Whew, more long winded than I thought, sorry. :)
I've no space where I live to set up re-loading - plus I am the type who is "messy". I'd probably blow myself up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Does messy equate to Dangerous? Maybe you shouldnt load your guns and just have safe queens then ROFLOL

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The Hunting Shack (huntingshack.com)in Stevensville MT. They have been in the ammo business for 30 or more years. They produce their own. You can buy new or reloaded brass ammunition. All depends on your budget.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I check ammoseek.com to see who has what on sale. CTD has reasonably priced ammo, I think, but they really hammer you on shipping. Ammoexpo and Target Sports USA have free shipping, but I find their case prices not so competitive if you factor in the per round price and factor out shipping and any state/local taxes that may apply. Also, I find that they are many times "Out of stock." Gander Mountain touts their "free" shipping, but they tack on a $5.00 surcharge per ammo order. I now avoid them altogether since they charge Ohio sales tax for me.

Cabela's has some deals if you watch. Right now they offer $5.00 shipping on orders $99.00 or more. We have a Cabela's Visa and use the accrued points to offset the price and shipping charges on ammo & gear. We use the Visa to pay all our bills, then pay it off monthly, thereby avoiding interest. So, we sham out using the money they award us for bills we have to pay anyway. Cabela's has no stores in Ohio yet, so we also avoid sales tax.

In central Ohio, we find Wally Mart competitive, though we absolutely detest the store. Their Winchester White Box ammo is as competitive as we can find in any of the other local retailers. We also have Buckeye Outdoors in Hebron, Ohio, which is very competitive, but it's a bit of a drive for us.

I've not looked at Gun Broker, but I've bid countless times on Gun Auction. What I do now is bid the max I will pay for ammo just to see how stiff the competition is. Amazing how much people will pay. Seems I am always rapidly outbid, but I refuse to bid more than I would pay elsewhere, even if I have to pay sales tax & shipping.

Some of my sources have forewarned me about rising ammo costs again by this summer, particularly in .45 ACP and .357 Magnum. There are probably numerous others, also. We are well supplied at the moment in .30-30 Win & .22 LR; not too bad off in .45 ACP; but we are a bit lacking in our .38 Special. That's the high priority on our list right now.

It's really work, but it pays to keep an eye out for the sales. A great thread! I'm glad I could share and can't wait to read what other members have to say.

Ed

·
Registered
923 Posts
i have reloaded shotgun shells for years because i shoot trap, pistol ammo prices have made me start reloading for them the cost of reloading the competitive cals. like .45,.9mm is'nt great, but for .45 colt or 41 mag, .38 super, its worth it.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I've used most of the ones mentioned above. I like ammoseek a lot. I've found some pretty hard to find items using it. I have also used this one https://www.ammoman.com/ All of his prices include shipping!! What you see is what you pay. It varies as to what he has in stock. Another thing you can do is bulk buy ammo, by getting several people to order at the same time; ie - split 5,000 rds of something 5 ways.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I recently ordered a case of .40 from Targetsports USA. I was a little anxious, as they have mixed reviews online. No problems, order arrived in about 10 days or so. I suspect some of the problems people have had there center on mixed orders, i.e. 2 boxes of one ammo, 3 of another, 1 of another, 2 of another, etc. When it comes to a case, it's easy, they just slap a shipping sticker on the box and put it in the mail. At the time, they were one of the best prices I could find on factory .40. However, as I look at their website just a couple weeks later, I see that exactly what I ordered went up by $2 a box. Hmm...

In the past, I've had good success with ammoman.com. Good service, fast shipping, and like others have said, their prices also include shipping. But, like everyone else, their prices have started creeping upward too. I would have given them my business on this last order, but it was a difference of $50 on the same product. They do have a "frequent buyer" program now, where you earn points toward future discounts with each order.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts