Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The .45 Colt is an old (by American standards) but a very effective manstopping round that does not rely on expansion to be effective. .45s of any type, in my view are already "expanded" and by virtue of their size and weight are going to punch a nice hole in a bad guy. The PMC load should not penetrate any worse than say a 9mm or .45 ACP FMJ, but since it is loaded to lower velocity, it should be that much of a problem with a hard cast lead round. I would feel very comfortable defending my self in my home with a good Colt SAA in .45 Colt loaded with lead bullets. Crime in the US is not that bad in states like mine, Virginia, where open carry and concealed carry are permitted. The would be thugs loose their nerve when they think they will confront an armed citizen.

[This message has been edited by The Virginian (edited 02-14-2005).]

[This message has been edited by The Virginian (edited 02-14-2005).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi, tomorow I will purcase finally a colt singel action army. I will use it primerly for fun shooting, and a buddy ha recomend the 45 colt pmc cowboy ammo. And although it is very unlikly that i have to use my colt for self defence I am a bit concerned about overpenatration. According to the pcm homepage the 45 colt 250 grain load is a hardcast load. Could it be posible that the the round could overpentrate or would it expand reliable ?

(my question is more theoretical, I live in austria and here the crime rat is not so high, and I know that a hollow point round would be ideal for self defence but hp ammo is not permitted in austria.)

[This message has been edited by agent (edited 02-14-2005).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok thanks for your answers, and does does anbybody know some other good lead ammo in 45 colt which would be suitable for sd?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any factory loaded .45 Colt 250-255 lead round nose flat point bullet ammo should be fine. Assuming it is available in Austria, Winchester, Remington or Fiocchi loads should be equally effective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts