Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled on quite few posts on other forums , tried a search on here and couldn't find anything . But there a good bit of people that say the python, king cobra , mk111 357 trooper . That you shouldn't fire 357 magnum loads . I am new to wheel guns and I certainly don't want you mess up or damage my trooper or king cobra . Please tell me this is here say . I am saving for a python , I am not a collector . I collect guns to shoot if that counts . Thank you for any help uploadfromtaptalk1409512711294.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1409512824424.jpg

·
Registered
322 Posts
These guns are made to shoot .357 loaded to SAMI specifications. The higher pressures and recoil of full power .357 loads will over time cause more wear than say .38 special target loads but you would have to shoot a bunch of them to wear out your gun. .357 loads will also pinpoint any loose screws. That's not to say don't shoot them but you might not want to run a steady diet of .357 magnum through your revolver. Most of us (me especially) don't care for the constant recoil of .357 magnum in a long shooting session. That's why I practice with .38 special loads and then run a couple of cylinders of .357 hunting loads through at the start of hunting season=saves wear and tear on me and the gun.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was so happy with getting a KC , I went to gun range and shot 150 rounds of 357 and 50 rounds of 38 sp . And that was just out of the KC .

·
Registered
31 Posts
A couple nice pistols, keep after that Python you wont regret spending the money. They are one of the best shooting wheel guns you can own. I shoot 357 158 grain loads out of mine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I shoot is 158 grain 357 . Really trying to find a shooter grade python . What is the going rate on a shooter python these days ? Prices seem to be all over the place

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Like said above, they are designed for 357 mag .so shoot them if you like. But you can also shoot 38 spl for practice or for whatever you want, because 38 spl, rounds are Less Expensive to shoot, make less wear on the revolver, have less recoil, and may even be more accurate than 357 mag loads in your particular revolver.
The signed targets (5 shot groups)at 15 yards, that came with some of the pythons and other 357 mag revolvers were supposedly 38 special wadcutter loads NOT 357 mag loads that (they were designed for),(I don't know if they were hollow base wadcutters or not). Anyway, Colt decided they'd shoot their 15 yard targets with 38 spl wadcutters-I assume they figured they'd get better groups shooting 38 spl. loads out of the Python rather than 357 mag loads.
Obviously, if you want to try and kill a deer , 357 mag I believe would be a better choice than 38 special , provided you can keep 6 shots in say 3" at 50 yards.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All this great info . Now I am going to have to go shoot some different loads and record info on the target . This should be interesting and a learning tool go me .

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
That's what I shoot is 158 grain 357 . Really trying to find a shooter grade python . What is the going rate on a shooter python these days ? Prices seem to be all over the place
If you want a shooter Python, I would try my hardest to find one close to you that you can purchase in the real world. The virtual internet world will not be easy on you with price and you will be saving up for some time. It's a shame.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
I met a gentleman in the Louisville area who was a company pilot for Colt in the 60's and 70's. He still remembered the date of about 1969 when he help some employees test a .357 in one of the basements of the Colt factory. He stated that they had cases of ammunition to fire and it had to be done over the weekend. As much as I enjoy shooting, firing a bunch of .357 in a short period would put a strain on anybody. I am speculating, that is where Colts advertisement stated that the prototype MKIII guns were tested at 20,000 rounds and 250,000 dry snaps. I don't know the specifics of the test, but I would think some way to cool down the forcing cone would be in order for it not to crack under the intense heat of continued firing of which none of us would do in the real world. All of my Colt chambered .357 revolvers have fired .357 ammunition but about 90% or more, I am firing a plus P 38 load that does all I want it to do. I do make a point to clean and check for leading on the forcing cone of the barrel as a build up from firing lead ammunition may lead to extra stress in that area if not cleaned.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

1800-2500 will get you a nice shooter grade 4,6, or 8" blued Python , on the classifieds here., if you are patient.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 1975 in the forum has my name on it . 75 is the year I was born , so that was a great year . I want that bad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts