Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get some recommendations for .38 Special practice rounds? Something that balances cost/accuracy/easy gun cleanup?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Target wadcutters are always accurate, fun, though the cost may be higher than other types. I'd check Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear — MidwayUSA for prices on ammo. I'd suggest looking into handloading, you can custom tailor ammo to your gun & needs. The cost of the equipment will soon be gotten back by the savings on ammo. You will also be able to shoot more for money spent.
Frank

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Yes...like Frank V says above.

Any 'Smokeless' propellents seem to make for pretty easy clean up, or are very forgiving even with no clean up...especialy with the present day 'Non Corrosive' Primers.

Various Bullet weights of Wadcutters or Semi-Wadcutters, over various - usually reduced - charges have long been the favored Target round of course, and, if one is going to be shooting much, it is best to load one's own, since off-the-shelf, they otherwise do cost more than standard Ammunition.

Reloading is fun and satisfying and opens up a lot of opportunities to have Cartridges unavailable elsewhere too.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Also try www.ammoseek.com it can help you find all kinds of loaded ammo and starts with the cheapest on down to the most expensive. Try different ones until you find the one your gun likes. I use 148gr wadcutters in my Office Models with excellant results. I reload these and use loaded Federal 148gr wadcutters also. I found a great deal on the Federal and bought 500 rds.

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
It seems like many Colt fixed sight guns chambered in .38 Special are regulated for standard 158 gr. loads.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
We like ammoseek.com also. They are so useful when finding who has what at a sale price. We don't reload, but we've found bargains at such places as Cabela's. Our last .38 Special purchase was from there: Remington UMC 130 grain FMJ, $82.99 for 250 rounds. If you watch the sales, they often have free shipping, too. No Cabela's stores in Ohio yet, so we also pay no state sales tax when buying on-line. If you have a Cabela's Visa you can also earn points. We have one and redeem points for ammo, gear, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts