Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys: I thought some here might like to see a neat little Colt .38 Special revolver I just picked up. It is a 1968 production first series Agent. It is real clean and has apparently been shot but little. The anodized finish on the frame, which always seemed to be pretty fragile on the lightweight guns I have looked before, is also in nice shape. I checked out the 1969 Colt Catalog to see what it said about the Agent back then: "A six-shot lightweight, close-quarters weapon with a heavyweight punch. Small enough for concealment, big enough for fast handling and accuracy. Frame of drop forged aluminum alloy. Overall length just 6 3/4", weight 14 ozs. Features: fixed type, ramp style sights; grooved trigger; full checkered walnut stocks; square butt; Colt blue finish. Hammer shroud available." Anybody here had any experience shooting the Agent? How come the Agent was eventually dropped from the Colt lineup? What kind of reputation did the Agent have back in its heyday? Charlie Flick

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
O man
You got yourself a beautiful revolver there!

I could be wrong, but the Agents demise was do to the Cobra. It ran in about the same time frame a as the Agent, and was also lightweight. The only difference was the Agent had a shorter grip frame, which would appeal to the gals but not the big handed guys, and I think the name "Cobra" had more name appeal to buyers. Dick

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
When the aluminum frame Colt's appeared in the 50's, the Cobra had the then standard full profile grip frame as the Detective Special. The Agent had the "stubby" short frame.
The Cobra and Detective Special used full-profile stocks, and the Agent, having the shorter, stubby stocks was sold as a maximum concealable hide-out, or back-up gun.

Later, in order to simplify production, Colt changed all the "D" frame guns to the stubby pattern, and then the only difference between the Cobra and Agent was the Agent's shorter wood grips.

Since Agent sales were never too high to start with, there was no real justification in maintaining a gun who's only difference was the Agent name stamped on the barrel, and a set of stocks.
Eventually, Colt just allowed it to drop from production.

The only shooting difference between the Agent and the Cobra, was the smaller Agent stocks made it slightly harder to hold on to.

The Agent's reputation was the same as the Cobra: A high quality revolver with a valuable sixth shot, in a package that could "disappear" in a pocket or holster due to the light weight.

Apparently the Agent was popular with undercover police needing a maximum concealment gun, but needing the power of the .38 Special. The short grip and light weight made it hide very well in an ankle holster.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To DB: Thanks for the compliment. I just got lucky on this one and could not resist it! To DFaris, thanks for the very informative discussion on the background of the Agent. I now have a much better understanding of its evolution and where it fits in with the Det. Special and the Cobra. Charlie

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Was it an Agent or a Cobra that Mr.Rubinstein shot Mr."A.Hidell" with in Dallas on 11/24/63?? Ive heard stories with both as the weapon,and a couple of "stories" say that the gun had the hammer shroud as in the picture(wish I couldve found that "shrouded Agent",when I bought an M-38 S&W Bodyguard-since traded.).I believe someone bought the infamous Colt,and was selling slugs fired from it,with a certificate,for $100-or more! The only other Colt with a the same short stocks as the Agent,is the very rare Courier,3"bbl. in .22 & .32. Very light weight in .32 and Ive replaced the alloy cylinder in mine(still have the original) with a steel one,so that I can fire some "respectable handloads".But the best factory defense loads for .32s are W-Ws Silvertips H.P.s in .32 ACP! Since the .32 auto has a slight "rim" it will eject(just make sure you eject muzzle up). So,any "definite info. on the gun used in Dallas??? Thanks, Bud

1 - 9 of 9 Posts