Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apparently the Russians are up to their usual tricks in the Ukraine and are Booby Trapping AK Magazines. The usual advice applies…don’t take a magazine from a dead Russian or pick one up laying on the road.

Hand Finger Fluid Thumb Nail

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
It’s a war zone. Booby-traps abound
I see YouTubes all the time where some soldier Russian or Ukrainian is walking around pointing out stuff and touching stuff and they all amaze me. That mag-bomb is just sinister. Looks like it has a pretty good load in there too. That wouldn’t just take a few fingers off! But since it’s been cutaway I think that’s a recreation of what was found and not the actual one with explosive still in it. I don’t think anyone would go cutting open a live bomb like that?

·
Registered
463 Posts
The US did similar tricks in Vietnam. Salt 7.62x39mm rounds by dumping the powder charge and refilling the cartridges with explosive. A few rounds in every case of ammo and a few cases in every ammo dump made the NVA infantry very nervous.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,441 Posts
One of the first uses of booby trapped munitions was by the British in the Malaya revolt by Chinese in the 50's.
The SAS began depositing booby trapped ammo, grenades, and mortar rounds.

As the war progressed and the Chinese insurgents got more desperate, the SAS increased the amount of munitions to the point where a high percentage was tampered with.
This so damaged insurgent morale they finally had to give up.

In Vietnam we also used this technique under a number of code names like Italian Red and Bolo Beans.
It started out with reloading rifle ammo with Bullseye powder, then progressed to actual explosives in ammo, mortar rounds, and grenades.
Most of this production was done by Special Forces at a base in Taiwan.

The amount of munitions booby trapped was so high, American forces were warned not to use enemy ammo.
7.63x39 ammo for use by American and South Vietnamese units was manufactured for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts