Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just shipped a Colt 22 Diamondback 6" to a great forum member. I wrapped the Colt in brown packing paper taped, wrapped again in small bubble wrap taped and cushioned firmly in place by styrofoam popcorn Packed and shipped same as always with every recipient 100% satisfied. Well there was a mishap with this particular shipped Colt. The D-back was going from Arizona's 7% humidity to Florida's 90% humidity flown Fed Ex with overnight delivery to the FFL. Sadly here is how it arrived.

I believe between in flight air pressure and arriving in a moist climate from a dryer climate may caused the result at the weakest point of the grips.
Lesson learned - Loosen the f'n grip screw when shipping wooden grips. I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
No...going from low Humidity to High Humidity ( leaving aside there was not enough time anyway, for the Stocks to meaningfully acclimate while being so packaged ) would not do this.

Jarring, being bumped, could do this, but not a change of Clime from arid to humid.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Most likely there was an incipient or partial ( invisible ) crack already, and, the vibration or other jarring of transport, induced the crack to continue through.

This is the vulnerable 'short grain' and is a fragile portion of the design of these kinds of Stocks.

I would not blame anyone - and I would not be able to find fault with anyone for this.

It is an inherent possibility with this style of Stock, over time, and or in any conditions of vibration/jarring during transport.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Next time you might try sealing the gun in a large ziplock bag to retain original humidity. JMO.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I was suspicious also of the humidity idea.
My thought was gorillas in the baggage handling area. Remember the old airline commercial? Some of those gorillas may now work for your shipper.
But I also think there had to be a bit of a flaw there.
Some very technical epoxy work will repair that, good as new.
dc

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm chiming in! Great transaction with great member,very satisfied and definitely not your fault! I have a guy who fixes problems like this so no big deal,like David13 said,probably the shipping gorillas at work!

·
Registered
785 Posts
That's a very sad incident. I'm sure that Swamprat will be able to repair them near perfectly.

There is a solution to prevent this from happening, and I've used this technique on every revolver I've shipped. I remove the stocks completely, and package them separately within the total package, taping the grip screw to the inside of the stocks. The grip screw tension and frame of the gun can put higher stress on the wooden stocks. If there's a weakness in the wood where it touches the grip frame, a vibration can result in a split or complete crack.

Just a thought for the future.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I sent a Colt DS to Colt several years ago to fix a timing problem (before I had any clue how to fix it myself). It had the "combat" original walnut grips in pristine condition. I should have taken them off but I didn't know any better. They arrived there just fine. When I got them back, however, they were broken BAD. It was as if someone threw the box against a concrete wall as hard as they could. AND I figured that's about what happened. I wondered if some union worker at colt smashed them and stuck them in the box. I couldn't figure out how else they could be broken because the gun was surrounded by bubble wrap. Anyway Colt sent me some rubber grips with the medallions cause they didt have any spare walnut target grips.
If I am ever a seller on some internet site, I think I would sell gun as is with no inspection period- Id take a lot of excellent photos from every angle and just tell buyer that is my policy. Every time someone sends a gun through the mail, you have a significant risk of having it smashed all to hell or stolen-It is best to keep the mailing to a MINIMUM.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello
Exactly why I won't ship a firearm. No matter how careful we can be , damage can happen. Ron
Maybe I don't understand your statement, but how do you transfer a firearm from one place to another without shipping? I'm not trying to be a smart-a, but do you deliver in person or expect the buyer to collect in person?

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I just shipped a Colt 22 Diamondback 6" to a great forum member. I wrapped the Colt in brown packing paper taped, wrapped again in small bubble wrap taped and cushioned firmly in place by styrofoam popcorn Packed and shipped same as always with every recipient 100% satisfied. Well there was a mishap with this particular shipped Colt. The D-back was going from Arizona's 7% humidity to Florida's 90% humidity flown Fed Ex with overnight delivery to the FFL. Sadly here is how it arrived.

I believe between in flight air pressure and arriving in a moist climate from a dryer climate may caused the result at the weakest point of the grips.
Lesson learned - Loosen the f'n grip screw when shipping wooden grips. I hope this helps some.
Also if there was some pressure at that point from the frame to grip fit being too tight. Looks like there was some contact there.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
By the description of how the Revolver was packaged, I do not think that 'Handling' ( or 'Gorillas' ) are to blame.

Far more likely are the harmonic Vibrations which occur in the Baggage or Freight Bays.

Vibration, induced even through careful adequate Packaging, can do weird things, it can un-screw Screws, cause parts to fall off, it can elongate or continue any flaws or incipient Cracks in Wood or other materials.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Also if there was some pressure at that point from the frame to grip fit being too tight. Looks like there was some contact there.

Pressure at the 'top' area could be a factor, whatever else may have occurred to complete the separation, definitely.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Rifles or other Long arms, one does best to separate the Barreled Action and Stock, or as may be, but, to package them separately and combine the two 'packages' into one.

Hand Guns tend to do just fine 'as is', for being well 'Mummified' in Bubble Wrap, especially layering it deeply over any projecting parts, like the Muzzle and Butt...with only the rare mis-hap in shipping.

I had a used Uberti 'WALKER" arrive in the Mail with the entire Barrel sticking out of the Box where it had poked through.

Postman was amused...I was aghast!

Guy who shipped it merely put it into a Cardboard Box and that was it. Oh, there was a small loose sheet-of-paper sized piece of 'Bubble Wrap' in the Box also.

Lol...

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
No problem. I will /would only sell FTF instate only. I know that limits the amount of potential buyers, but I don't mind that. I had the same witht he 2 Colts in the FS section. Ron

Maybe I don't understand your statement, but how do you transfer a firearm from one place to another without shipping? I'm not trying to be a smart-a, but do you deliver in person or expect the buyer to collect in person?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.