Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to like some guns that deviate from the “normal”. Such is the case here.

The metal on this #132183 has generous traces of blue in protected areas with balance being smooth grey. It was purchased with very worn non-original rubber grips, and these were later replaced with 2-piece pearl.

Under the ejector housing the barrel is numbered 6308, but also "45 Colt" was applied prior to leaving the factory. This barrel was possibly rejected from a U.S. gun, and re-utilized later. It may also have been surplused when a large dealer wanted a caliber change. Other markings on this barrel indicate manufacture in the 92,000 to 107,000 SN range (circa 1883-1884).

Factory shipping records note as 45/c, 7-1/2", Blue, SNL & Shipped to Montgomery Ward & Co. on 8-5-1890, 5 Guns.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
A real beautiful 1st Gen with an even grey patina and pearl stocks to boot...

Gone are the days you could buy one across the counter at Montgomery Ward & Co,

Thanks for sharing it Brother.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
IN 1973 I had a summer job working at the local Wards. I vividly remember they had a Marlin 39 and a S&W 52 that sat all summer without being sold. If I knew then what I know now.

Reactions: MarkInTx

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
I checked my cut down 5” 1890 .44-40 always trying to find close numbers but a couple 1,000s off. But mine has no frame rampant colt, either. Even though the pearls are later, this gun with pearls jives exactly with I think Sears catalogs offered at a higher price. A blued/case colored SAA with the pearl grip option. This gun is as good as it gets as far as I’m concerned.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I like that it was shipped to Montgomery Ward. I'm from CA and I remember the first time I went to Texas, I walked in to a True Value Hardware store in Alpine and was stunned to see guns for sale. I was not into guns at the time but I thought it was so cool.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like that it was shipped to Montgomery Ward. I'm from CA and I remember the first time I went to Texas, I walked in to a True Value Hardware store in Alpine and was stunned to see guns for sale. I was not into guns at the time but I thought it was so cool.
One of my sons worked for a local True Value store in Texas a few years ago. No guns there at that time. I guess like some stores with recent policy changes, they quit. But about 50 years ago I recall Western Auto stores sold guns of all kinds.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
You gotta love Raul King. Their business model includes hardware, food items, feed/farm, and firearms. A very large regional operation with good pricing. Today's Western Auto and True Values of old but much more.
Vic

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
I’m still in CA and in the early 70s I remember a small rifle case in Coast To Coast hardware with .22 rifles where my dad bought .22 shells. I think I still have a box from his stuff with the store sticker on them. I faintly recall a gun counter in a Sears or Wards but I’m leaning towards Wards because it jives with the Wards Hercules 12 gauge double we have. There’s a family owned hardware store in St. Helena that is just like stores of the past. There’s a back counter with guns like Colt SAAs and an original Winchester 1866 rifle the guy let me hold.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I bought a couple of guns at the True Value Hardware in Van Horn, Texas in the early 80's. They even had one (maybe two) of the tin Topperwein 22 "pictures", the Indian and maybe Uncle Sam if memory serves.
Bought ammo there as well. I was living in the Ramada Inn and didn't have my reloading stuff.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Bought my .270 Winchester Model 70 at local True Value Hardware in 1988. They had a large selection of long guns back then. No sure when they got out of the gun business.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts