Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Larry Wilson book, production of the .357 ended in the 28000 serial-number range. I recently came across this one that is #31xxx.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
There's an anomaly in the Trooper/357 serial number ranges.
The 357 "stops" "around" 28000, but Trooper numbers don't "start" until 32401.

That's a pretty big gap, that's unexplained, but Colt did what they wanted without regard to anomalies.

My best guess would be a cleanup of 357-specific barrels before starting the Trooper-marked guns in this range.

To further complicate things, Colt also shared Trooper numbers with the Officer's Model Match in the 90000 range.

The only way you'll ever solve this is by either calling Colt and asking for a production date and model, or by spending the bucks on a Historical Letter.

Colt seems to be giving date and model info over the phone.

By the way, that's a beautiful 357 (you dirty #&*@#*) The one Colt I really wanted, and never found, was the 357. Back when I could afford Colt's, there was no internet and no 357's ever showed up locally.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, dfariswheel; maybe just out of curiosity, I will call Colt. I don't think it's worth big bucks for the history letter.

For some reason, those early .357s really appeal to me. This one, I nabbed at a local gun store just the other week: just the way I like to find 'em, about 98%, really nice, but not so pristine I don't mind doing what it's supposed to do, shoot!

By the way, there is one on Gunbroker, but it has later grips and a fantasy price: http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=18104348

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ordnanceguy:
Michael: That clean living continues to work in your favor. Nice find!
Charlie
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the first time I've ever been accused of that!
But seriously, thanks Charlie. Just for that, here's a picture of the one too nice to shoot...

[This message has been edited by Michael Stern (edited 05-06-2004).]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Beautiful examples of the 357 Colt.

Had one in 1970 a 4" first duty gun. Unfortunately didn't appreciate it and sold it for a M 19, that never did function properly.

Would like to get one back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts