Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took the 44 mag 4 inch anaconda out to the range just to see If I like it enought to start reloading for it. 25 yards all six shots on the paper, one in the bullseye(luck)but my arm is still tingling from the kick, the 4 inch barrel just does not provide enough weight to tame that snake, back to the gun safe, but it did raise a few eyebrows at the range

·
Registered
794 Posts
kennedy, load up a bunch of 44 Spec. That way you can shoot your toy a lot without the abuse of the magnum loads.

Then when you go hunting take the magnum loads. I rarely shoot magnum loads on paper any more. The spec is much more fun for paper & plinking. Cheaper to load too. But come time to hunt, I carry the big boys.

Have you tried a shooting glove?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sure do wish they made a 2 1/2" barreled Anaconda!!! I need one to go with all my other snubbies. I would shoot 44 special out of it but then again my snubby Python can be brutal with full house loads.

MadDog

------------------
WWJWD (What would John Wayne do?)

[This message has been edited by MadDog (edited 08-26-2004).]

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it has rubber hogue grips, which worked out great, kept the gun in my hand, but by the 6th shot I was flinching so bad I was lucky to keep the shots on the target.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
The grips/stocks don't sound like the problem.
I'm curious as to what effected you most,
Was it too much flash,
too much noise,
or was the gun kicking violently ?
If it's the last one, are you trying to hold the gun in place too hard ?
In other words are you trying to hard to control the blast and being very tense ?
Or, Are you holding the gun loosely and letting it go where it wants to go after the blast ?

Just thinking out loud here.
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Load 9.0 grains of Universal Clays in a Mag case and a Keith type 240-260 gr SWC and a CCI Primer. Should get about a 1,000 fps and will handle 92% of all the shooting you need to do.

If not sell the Anaconda to me.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Do you shoot big bore magnums much? A 4" Anaconda with the stock rubbers should be fine as it's quite heavy to handle the recoil.
I have a 3" S&W M657 in .41mag that will get your attention with full house loads, but it is still manageable. Barely sometimes, but I can get thru the shooting session.
Try doubling up on your hearing protection. Sometimes it isn't the kick of the gun, but the roar that gets to people. Also wear shooting gloves. Don't give up till you make a few equipment adjustments.

You aren't shooting the big 300 grainers are you?

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 08-26-2004).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
majic......
man I love that 657 3" 41mag....
round butt grip? rosewood?
damn!!!!! wish I never would've sold it.
It is a hoot to shoot at night with full house loads.................light up an alley like daylight.
got me going jealous

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here is a 44 magnum load that I have been using.
Remington 44 magnum cases
Winchester large pistol primers
8.0 grains Unique
240 grain commercial hard cast LSWC
1000 feet per second from a six inch S&W model 29-3.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was holding the gun very tight, was afraid it would get away from me, but I shot it out of curiosity, to see how it shot since it had been shot before I owned it, but I will put it back in the safe, since I bought it for an investment for my retirement. In 10 years I plan on having a huge gun sale taking the proceeds and buying a lake home in Minnesota and retiring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts