Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi @ All :)
I´m a Shooter from Germany and new at this forum, so please excuse my bad English...:)

I have had a few years ago good luck and could buy an Anaconda First Edition. This Revolver is 1 of 1000 with a SN under #50.
It is in a realy good condition and complete with the original alucase, sticker, and manual. I´m very proud of this gun but i have little problem. The Anaconda will not shoot very accurately. I had try a lot of Ammo, but the best results are about 5 inches over a distance from 25 feet. That is not acceptable. I have als a S&W 29 Classic and this gun shoots over 25 feet with the same ammo under 2 inches. Has anyone here a First Edition and a idea what i can do to make it accurate?
Best regards from Germany,
Frank

·
Registered
794 Posts
Does it lock up tight? Are you sure it is properly timed? If the lockup is not precise, the cylinder may not be properly aligned with the forcing cone. This can cause shearing of the bullet & distortion of the bullet resulting in poor accuracy.

Colts are quite touchy when it comes to their timing especially in double action.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Because of the comparison with the S&W M29 I assume that this Anaconda is chambered in 44 Magnum. A number of very early production Anacondas were shipped with what proved to be less than optimum timing.

I'd add that it is a good idea to have the "forcing cone" of the barrel checked for proper dimensions. I have not seen a 44 calibre Anaconda with cylinder throat dimension problems (unlike 45 Colt chambered Anacondas where this problem is quite common) but this is worth inspecting.

The Anaconda has a "faster" rifling twist than the S&W M29. Therefore the Colt may "prefer" loads using somewhat heavier bullets than the S&W does. When a 44 Magnum Anaconda is correctly regulated, results of less than 5 cm @ 25m are possible with most examples, given use of ammunition that the revolver "likes".

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts