Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my .44 Anaconda is gonna be ready for shooting soon (see "Blazer ammo ruined my Anaconda"). I've rifle hunted for 20yrs but I'd like my son and I to get some game kills with this pistol. Has anyone here hunted hogs or deer, maybe even coyote with theirs before? What ammo do you like and at what range max? My Annie is 6" and I pan to hunt with iron sights.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Currently, I don't own a Colt Anaconda, however, I've hunted with several .44 mag revolvers over the years, and most any round of that particular caliber will drop a large game animal, such as a deer or coyote.
My favorite round for deer was a 240 grain JHP over 20 grains (approximately) 2400 powder, using a magnum primer.
For Black Bear, I loaded hard cast 255 grain slugs over 18.5 grains of 2400 powder, also using the magnum primer for reliable ignition.
For a short time, I had a Bushnell Phantom on My SA .44 mag revolver, however, the DA .44 mag revolver was used with open sights, as equipped from the gun factory.
I hope this helps, and may Your big game hunt be successful, and please do post a picture! :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, guys. ColtStar, what kind of range did you feel comfortable shooting with those loads and open sights? Also, could you recommend a specific ammo brand? CCI/Speer is sending me several hundred rounds of their Gold Dot line ammo (a variety of load outs) as part of our settlement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts