Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a slightly used 6" Anaconda. Went to the range last week and shot some medium loads through it. On occassion the cylinder would not turn after I fired a round through and attempted to pull the hammer back to shoot in single action once more. Any ideas?

FC

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Two easy things to check. First, look for primer setback in case you have any reloads with oversize primer pockets, and second, give it a thorough cleaning and pay special attention to the area under the extractor star. A few flakes of crud under the extractor can cause binding.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Buckeye is right on the money, and thats exactly what I would do.
If you were firing your own reloads you might try a different brand of primer. On occasion I've found lots that seemed to be either softer than usual or slightly smaller. These will also setback and cause difficulty with cylinder rotation

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting. I've had exactly the same problem with my Anaconda, ever since I bought it new. Haven't found an answer yet. I'm wondering now if this problem shows up in any other Colt revolvers, or is it somehow limited to the Anaconda?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unburned powder under the extractor star happens with S&W and Ruger as well as Colt double action revolvers.

The worst offender in my experience are milder loads with slow flake powders, such as 4227 or 2400.

Lighter bullets, standard primers, and lighter crimps all contribute to this problem also.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
It certainly does. The worst offender I own is a 25-2. I started carrying a cleaning brush to the range with me just to clean under the extractor star. You can relieve it just a bit by always holding the muzzel straight up and giving the extractor a full stroke when ejecting emptys. This seems to help unburnt powder granules fall free. No grarantees though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Today at the range the cylinder on my Anaconda wouldn't close properly. I checked under the extractor star, and all was well. Then I checked the ejector rod, and it had become partially unscrewed. I screwed it back in periodically during my range session. When I got home I put a bit of fingernail polish on the threads and tightened it up.

This is common on S&W's I've owned, particularly the "N" frames. I hadn't heard of it happening with Colts, however.
Have others had this happen?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Bob, just like checking screws it's just something you have to do with all revolvers. I guess you know if you look at a lot of old Colts you will occasionally see one that don't have and ejector rod head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts