Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions (I know, opinions are like something else ... everyone's got one) of the Anaconda? Are they good shooters?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Not much from me on this subject ... Too new for me! Some cronie of my son has one and really likes it, that's all I've heard. There have been some posts in these pages about them. If you dig in the, "old posts," stuff you'll find some opinions, no doubt.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It was said once it was one of the most accurate .44mags on the market. I have a .45 Colt model. It has the large (.454") throats, but it's pretty accurate with the right sized bullets (I don't shoot jacketed bulets). They are really strong, but have been known to shear pins with the very heavy loads.
They are overpriced now, but were reasonable when they were production guns.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks similar to the King Cobra, and I have one of those and love it. It is very accurate. Why is the throats so crucial when the forcing cone should guide the bullet to the bore?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Majic,

Consider yourself lucky. More common are 0.457" or so chamber throats. (BTW, the factory has told me that 0.457" is within tolerance!)For some reason I've never seen an Anaconda in 44 Magnum with unreasonably large chamber throats.

Bob

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
With overly large throats and lead bullets the bullet can hit the forcing cone off center and damage the nose.
The .44 caliber has had correct deminsions for like forever, but the .45 Colt has always been all over the place.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I was hoping that when the Anaconda was announced in late 1990,that it was gonna be a reincarnation of the New Service,but alas it was not to be. I realize that with the "old" leaf spring Python action,hand fitting,and fine finishing it wouldve been too costly. But being a traditionalist and not liking stainless and the apperance of the "newer" frame colts,I passed on it. Besides,New Services,were still priced within reason(for shooting and my limited budget) then. About the cylinder throat size,which has been discussed much on the S&W Forum; many people forget,or dont realize,that when the 25-5,or even the Anaconda were introduced,there were NOT the factory .45 Colt loads around that there are today, The 2 most common,Remington and WWs were the 255 gr lead bullets. Ive shot thousands of of Remington 255 HB swaged leads that I buy in bulk in handloads. They measure .454 and .455. So with the "correct" .452 throats S&W and later Colt,wouldve gotten complaints:"The bullets wont slide into the chambers".Saw it happen with some handloads with the above mentioned Remingtons that I gave a friend to try in his Vaquero.Anyway,I ramble. Bud

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have hunted with an Anaconda in .44mag since 1993. Taken 9 deer with it,8 within 50 yards, 1 at 80 yards(luck prevailed).To know if it's a good shooter one would have to experiment with diffent loads and a Ransom rest. One things for sure,the Anaconda is a great Hunter! Seams to hit where you aim!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have hunted with an Anaconda in .44mag since 1993. Taken 9 deer with it,8 within 50 yards, 1 at 80 yards(luck prevailed).To know if it's a good shooter one would have to experiment with diffent loads and a Ransom rest. One things for sure,the Anaconda is a great Hunter! Seams to hit where you aim!

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had mine for about two years now and absolutely love it. The barrel lug helps to tame the recoil of the .44 mag, and the grips are the most comfortable I've ever owned. My only complaint is the trigger pull. The trigger was a little on the heavy side, so I had a local gunsmith lighten the single action pull to about 2.5 pounds. I would recommend this gun to anyone. Very accurate and extremely comfortable to shoot.

5 Posts
How well do the Anacondas fare durability wise? Has anybody here had any timing issues with them? I currently own several S&W Model 29s and 629s in various flavors, as well as a Ruger SRH. I have yet to beat an S&W out of time, though most of my shooting admittedly is done with light handloads ( 240 grain cast SWC @ 800-900 fps ). Can Anacondas take a steady diet of warmer loads?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have in the past ran my Anaconda with the Ruger only loads and it shot them with no problem (cases fell out the chambers easily). It is a very stout design. I have heard of some people having the some of the pins shear with the brutal recoil, but I personally haven't seen one.
The Colt timing problem that has been blown way out of proportion essentually went away with the improved MkIII actions. What's not mentioned much is that the N-frames (and any other large frame revolver) can easily go out of time with fast double action shooting because of the mass of the cylinder. It's not commonly heard of as most shooters don't shoot large framed revolvers that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have handled several of the 44's, & I felt that they had the usual high level of fit & finish that all Colts have. Is there any diff in the 45 design? I am mainly interested in the cyl/extractor area.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
There is no design difference between the 2 calibers. Just the fact that Colt has always bored the throats to a larger size than most other makers chambering the .45 caliber.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Majic, I'm going to start looking for a 6" 45cal. The throats won't be a problem. I had to deal with that with my 4" S&W 25-5. I cast swc's with gas checks & I get no leading at all. I have two Lyman moulds that I use for the 45 colt. #452491(discontinued) cast @ 220gr & finishes-out @ 232gr, & #452490 (current) cast @ 260gr & finishes-out @ 270gr. The lighter bullet helps if you have a POA-POI problem.
I like my S&W, but I'd like a more robust six-incher to hunt with. I figure that I'll be lucky to find a nice gun for approx $800.
Thanks again for your reply.
Jeff

[This message has been edited by eyebiter (edited 04-15-2004).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
My old first edition (1st 1000 mfg'd) anaconda is still for Sale at Fountain firearms in Houston Texas. Never fired or turned.

I liked the .45 Colt Anaconda and had an 8" and a 4". The 8" was very accurate at 100 yds with hot .45 colt handloads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Magnum M: Is your gun a 6" 45 colt? Is fountain firearms a gun shop? Could you please give me some additional info?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts