Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I just bought my first Colt a used King Cobra. Off to shoot tomorrow. While I was buying this gun (for only $50.00 and a old gun I traded) I saw a new 6 inch stainless Anaconda for $1000 and a new 6 inch stainless Python for $1100. I hear they Python is best revolver ever and really want one. But would not mind an Anaconda. But I can only afford one. Both is a little too rich for my blood.

Would you buy a Python over the Anaconda? As far a quality and lifespan is the Python really the best?

And were the heck can I get a leather carry holster for those? Because I will carry it if I buy it!

·
Registered
115 Posts
JPA,

I have an Anaconda 6" in .45 Colt, as well as several Pythons. The Anaconda is a great gun which is built on the Colt Trooper MKV action which is completely different from the Python action. The Trooper action is very strong but is not the hand-fitted, intricate action of the Python. The Anaconda's action is made of sintered metal parts like the Smith and Wessons while the Python is comprised of machined, hand-fitted parts, sort of like a fine Swiss watch.

In my humble opinion the Anaconda is not worth that kind of money although they seem to bring that, you can routinely find nice used ones for less than $700. The Python IS worth $1,100 although if you look around you will find them for less. The Python was conceived in the 1950's as being the ultimate target revolver ever made and it is. They are simply the finest revolvers (along with the SAA) ever made by anyone, anywhere.

For me, if the difference was $100 between a Python and ANYTHING else I would always choose the Python. I would guess that most of the folks on this forum will second me on that last statement.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry,

I tend to get all worked up when the conversation turns to Colt Pythons.

I neglected to ask what you intend to use the revolver for. If you want it for hunting, then the Anaconda, if just for shooting then the Python.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for your opinion! I kinda feel the same way. As for use I plan to carry it and shoot it. If I hunt I would use a different weapon. Might carry the Python while out hunting anyway.

Now while on the subjects of Pythons. From what I have read they are not in production anymore and the Custom Shop has halted production. I hear Colt will produce them again in 2006 possibly. If I buy a Python and say something breaks in it, trigger, spring, front/rear sight, etc. will I still be able to have it repaired or find parts? I am really leaning towards buying the Python because I just gotta have one and I figure the 6 inch is the best barrel lenght for me. If I buy it I plan to shoot and carry it too, not just look at it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am a gun lover and a great admirer of Pythons and 1911s. Even though I love guns I would never agree with the statement that SAA is one of the greatest guns ever made /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The SAA has a great panache due to the use of it in movies and TV but the reality is total production from 1873 to WW II was somewhere under 400,000 guns. There are any number of handguns that were produced in far greater numbers during that time and must have provided a better cost/benefit ratio.

The reality is the SAA has accuracy problems and is slow to reload. The plus was it was by-and-large chambered in great manstopping calibers(excluding the .32-20). History shows the military replaced it as soon as they realized it's limitations could be fatal to a great many troops in modern warfare.

·
Registered
115 Posts
With all due respect, I would have to say that you are in the minority regarding your opinions on the SAA.

The SAA is widely regarded as being one of, if not the most important, handgun designs ever. It is hands down the most collectible handgun ever made, that alone must qualify it as one of the greatest guns ever made. You don't see collectors going nuts over old Iver Johnson revolvers, they're after the Colt's. In my post I stated that the Python and the SAA are the finest revolvers ever made. If you are aware of a finer finished, better balanced, or more famous SA revolver please let me know what it is.

You state that it suffers from accuracy problems. Have you ever owned or shot one? I have never heard this complaint from those who shoot them. I have a 3rd Gen 7.5" .45 Colt SAA that will put 5 shots into 1 1/2" at 25 yds with about any load. Do you consider that an inaccurate pistol?

As far as its limitations as a miltary sidearm, I would think that any revolver would be antiquated by the standards of modern warfare. That would include the Python, the S&W Model 27, and all the rest. For that matter, the great Mauser M98 is antiquated compared to a Garand or an M-16. Does that mean its not a great gun or was somehow a failure because it was eventually replaced by something more modern?

You should try making your post over on the sixgunner.com single action forum and see what kind of response you get there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
you allready have a stout 357in the king cobra so in your situation id get the big 44 mag(a must have)anaconda.
i have an 8 inch version i bought brand new in the box at a local gun store for 525 out the door.back in the fall of 97.my very first gun perchase!the old coot behind the counter was moanin and grownin about "colt going under"."i just dont know about colt". anyhow he had a 6 inch one in 45 colt also?the action on my anaconda is no less than fantastic has to be felt to be apriciated!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts