Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 8" anaconda last week, which seems to have been neglected by it's previous owner. After an external and bore cleaning, I noticed that when slowly cocking the hammer, the cylinder does not quite rotate far enough to fully engage the cylinder lock. A slight push is needed to lock the cylinder into place. So far I'm leaning toward sending it back to Colt, since I don't know of any 'smiths in my area that I'd trust with it. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Eddie

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts
Definitely back to Colt.

Usually, the problem is related to the "hand" that rotates the cylinder, and this is a simple (for Colt) replacement.

The problem is, the Anaconda is hell for strong, and timing problems in unabused guns are rare.
The later transfer bar action Colt's were specifically designed to eliminate timing problems in normal use, so there may be something damaged inside.

Colt will set it right ASAP.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yup, back to Colt. I'm surprised to hear this: timing problems are very common with older Colts, but seem rarer with the later redesigned action.

Bill A

·
Registered
95 Posts
It was either severly abused, was kitchen table gunsmithed, or it was not right when it left the factory. In any case, send it back to get it fixed and checked over.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I really feel better with Colt repairing this. The previous owner didn't look like much of a cleaning/maintenence freak. He had about 35 handguns all on his one shelf in his safe, all pile on top of one another, and all shot and not cleaned!

One other thing that caught me off guard is that when I told Colt customer service that I bought the gun used, they said the warranty didn't transfer to me, and that I would be charged for the repair. This sure doesn't sound right when I could have found a $200 Taurus in the gutter, and Taurus would have repaired it free of charge. I would have liked to think Colt would stand behind their product better than this. Oh well, we'll see. I'll be shipping this one back next week. Thanks again for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts