Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There. I just bought a used Colt Anaconda 44 Mag- beautiful gun for $1200.00 and love the gun but its rear sight was way over to the right and it still shoots left of the target. I can probably just adjust mentally but any advise on why this is happening. Is there an expensive or inexpensive fix to this problem?

Is this just part of the hand made aspect of a high end revolver?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Hi There. I just bought a used Colt Anaconda 44 Mag- beautiful gun for $1200.00 and love the gun but its rear sight was way over to the right and it still shoots left of the target. I can probably just adjust mentally but any advise on why this is happening. Is there an expensive or inexpensive fix to this problem?

Is this just part of the hand made aspect of a high end revolver?

#1 inexpensive fix , aim to the right.

Larry Potterfield, " and thats the way it is "

·
Registered
713 Posts
It appears that your barrel is not centered. It needs to be turned in some more. (Don't try this at home!). I'd say send it back to Colt or find a competent gunsmith who knows how to barrel a double-action revolver.

·
Registered
724 Posts
That barrel is NOT properly aligned. Call Colt or talk with the member here that works for them.

Good luck. They will make it better.

Have fun and be safe.
Nightshade2x

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Picture three tells the tale. The barrel rib is not on the frame-top centerline, so when you put the front sight in the middle of the notch, you will actually be pointing substantially left of POA. I don't know whether the barrel was not properly torqued before it left the factory or if it unwound during shooting, but it needs to be tightened. If you have a frame wrench, you can do this yourself. If you don't, find a good local smith or send it back to the factory for adjustment.

Nice gun. I hope to have one some day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same prob on a King Cobra. Called up Colt, sent it in, and a few weeks later everything came back 100% and free of charge. Then again, who else coulda turned the barrel like that....

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
I had an 8" Anaconda in .44mag with a scope mount that I bought from a friend. After several trips to the range to sight in, at the last outing the gun would not open or lock up properly. Getting home, imagine my surprise when I discovered the barrel had come loose, more so than in your picture #3. I was able to grasp the barrel and with a slight twist, unscrew the barrel from the frame..... All ended well as my friend bought the gun back and had it fixed by a local gunsmith. All was needed was some industrial strength Loctite and the situation was remedied.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Picked up a 4 incher a few years ago with the same problem Sent it back to colt after calling them Had it back in six weeks with the problem solved Only cost me one way postage Give Colt a call They will take care of it

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
:mad:
:eek:

Are the grips duct taped together also?
Let me state that I take offense at this comment, as I am not that stupid. The gun was in fine shape when purchased from my friend. When the problem occurred, he purchased it back and had the gun repaired by a local highly regarded gunsmith. Removal and installation of gun barrels while beyond my expertise, cannot be all that difficult to someone qualified. So my question is: what is the proper method of installing a gun barrel to keep it from loosing again?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Here is a previous thread that details the correct factory method for "changing" a barrel. The intent of most recommendations on the forum is to avoid disaster and disappointment, especially when Colt will often right things that are truly wrong at no cost beyond getting it to them, which I admit is not totally insignificant cost these days but far less than a destroyed gun. :)

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7934

Note especially the follow up by dfariswheel near the end of the thread as that addresses the situation of a previously installed but loosened barrel.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Thank you for submitting that link to changing a barrel. It is indeed an involved process. However, this discussion (and mine) involves using the existing barrel on the gun, not a brand new one. What procedure is required to keep if from working loose again? Am I to understand that once a barrel comes loose from the frame you cannot reuse it and must replace it and re-fit a new one?

·
Registered
192 Posts
:mad:

Let me state that I take offense at this comment, as I am not that stupid. The gun was in fine shape when purchased from my friend. When the problem occurred, he purchased it back and had the gun repaired by a local highly regarded gunsmith. Removal and installation of gun barrels while beyond my expertise, cannot be all that difficult to someone qualified. So my question is: what is the proper method of installing a gun barrel to keep it from loosing again?
Didn't mean to offend, I was being sarcastic...I'd personally send it right back to Colt and let them handle it. When I sent them a pistol to have a barrel swapped it cost me $80..to tighten a loose barrel would probably be cheaper.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
I neglected to read the follow-up by dfarriswheel regarding installing the barrel and he addresses the issue of re-installing the existing barrel. After reading his article and follow-up, the gunsmith apparently did not follow proper procedure for installing the barrel on my friend's Anaconda. Makes me wonder how often this method is used to fix a loose barrel. This has been an informative post! Thanks for clearing things up.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Back to your initial question. ;) In your case, the barrel is apparently not turned/tightened quite enough. It is possible it could just be turned a tad more to bring it into line. However, I would still let Colt do it because if there were any problem doing it, they could make it right. :)

And, as is so often the case, it is really thanks to dfariswheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone that is alot of info. I am up here in Canada Eh so return to Colt is unlikely. I will give it to Al Eps or find the Colt Distributor here and ask them what to do. Don't want to ruin this beautiful firearm. I love everything colt its just that everyone else is making some great products just without the horsey. Here's my other Colt:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts