Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I did a search but wasn't able to find any info on this. My only prior experience with Colt revolvers is a couple of Pythons and a New Frontier .45. I know the Anaconda is more akin to a King Cobra than a Python, and that it isn't hand made, and that it uses coil springs instead of leaf springs. I just bought a used Anaconda 6" .44 mag, serial #62025. It seems to be in pretty good shape, but the trigger has about 1/8" of take up before the spring is really engaged in double action and there is mild cylinder play. Other than that, the double action pull is smooth as glass and the single action is comparable to my Pythons.

Is this normal? Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Sounds normal to me. Anacondas are different compared to Pythons and those tolerances are ok on the Anacondas. You will also get a cylinder turn line no matter what because the bolt drops before it reaches the ramp. All due to the design of the Anaconda.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,467 Posts
As above, the later Colt's starting with the Mark III of 1969 all have very noticeable trigger take up before engaging the hammer double action strut.

Also, the cylinders do not lock up tightly like the older models and will have cylinders free to slightly move when the trigger is pulled.
This is to allow the bullet entering the bore to force the chamber into alignment.
With all the later Colt's, all the S&W's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson's, etc holding the trigger back and checking the cylinder for tight lock up IS NOT a valid test for anything.
This is a valid test ONLY for the older Colt action.

Even in guns that seem to lock tightly, there's enough backlash built into the action to allow the necessary cylinder movement at ignition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody. I've never even seen an Anaconda before, so I didn't know what to expect. Though it may be heretical to say this on this forum, the fit & finish, etc. remind me of the X frame Smiths I have handled. Can't wait to shoot it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.