Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m understanding that there were a few 5” barrel Anacondas produced, although they were not offered as an option in the catalog. I’ve seen it suggested that there might have been fewer than 200 of these made. Does anyone know how many were actual made with the 5” barrel? Do the 5” bring a premium price?

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Yes they are quite rare and bring a nice premium. To the best of my knowledge they were only made in .44 Magnum. Sorry I don't know the exact number made.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't believe the production number has ever been definitively stated by Colt (surprise, surprise!). I've seen 130 as a guesstimate a few times and they do seem to be pretty rare. It's a shame so few were made as the length, at least for me, balances much better than either a 4" or 6". Current value seems to be $4500-6000 depending on condition, presence of box, etc.

They would be very hard to fake, as the vent spacing is different from the 4", 6" and 8", and I don't believe that Colt sold any excess barrels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I’ve been looking to pick up a big “snake”. I’m heading back to my LGS to check out an Anaconda with a barrel that looks just too short to be the 6” that it is listed as. I know this is a long shot, but we’ll see.......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well - funny how the memory is so imperfect. Guess that’s why “eye witness” accounts of the same event vary so greatly. The Anaconda at the LGS was a very nice pistol, but it was a 6”. These are tough enough to find in California, but to happen upon a rare model - that would be truly remarkable. Grabbed it anyway.....just too nice to pass up!

·
Registered
803 Posts
They are quite rare. Complete ones are more rare which equals more value. I recently sold a complete one in high condition for 5400 which I think was undervalued. Do not buy one without a letter especially if it's unboxed or if your not sharp on labels. I am sure fakes are out there

·
Registered
194 Posts
Do not buy one without a letter especially if it's unboxed or if your not sharp on labels. I am sure fakes are out there
One of the reasons I've been drawn to these, is they seem very difficult to fake. I'm not asking for a step by step to help criminals, I'm just interested in an expansion on your assertion. The spacing on the ventilated rib is such that modifying on a 6" wouldn't work as there are three vents instead of two, unless you could add and subtract metal seamlessly from the rib, or start over and build an entirely new rib out of exactly the same stainless material.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts