Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help from here. I have a 4" Anaconda on hold for 24 hrs. that is $599. It appears to be an earlier model, '93 maybe, with Pachmayers w/o the banner. It comes w/ the plastic case, all the papers, and case sleeve. Decent price?

Should the lock-up on Anaconda's & King Cobra's be as rock-solid as it should be on Python's & OM's? This particular gun has a little r-l rotational movement similar to S&W's @ full lock. The barrel/cylinder gap looks tight, inside barrel looks good, cylinder charge holes have some crud. Any of this info. send up a red flag to any of you? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Price seems about right, might even be a little low. Some recent releases of Anacondas had a wholesale prices higher than Pythons.

Rotational play is about the same as you would find on Smiths. I would also check for end shake(front to rear cylinder) movement though during lock-up. About .004 is normal. Dick

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That is typical of the new Colt lockwork. There is nothing like modern engineering. Yeah...right!!!
As far as price, I don't think you will see a better deal these days (early version or not). If it is an early .44mag model I would check it closely (tolerances, throats, etc.) as they had teething problems, but Colt quickly resolved them. My Anaconda in 45Colt has been a rock solid revolver for many years now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 24 hours is up. It's mine, laying next to the computer as I write this.

Nice gun & addition to my Colt's. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It is possible, but not always economically practical to get a substantially tighter than factory lock up on the Anaconda. First, check that the chambers of your cylinder have been cut on an equal spacing (not over 0.001" variance). In the Anaconda, especially in the 44, many cylinders are quite decent.

You need to obtain an oversized hand- determine what you need and give a good distributor a call. I don't believe that this is a cataloged item, but I obtained some hands that were almost 0.020" thicker than normal from Rosemary at Pittsburg Handguns some years back. Study Kuhnhausen's book on these revolvers so that you understand how this revolver functions, and inlet the hand so that there is absolutely minimal clearance.

You'll then find that the revolver won't function as the end of the hand won't clear the ratchet. This is OK- I've never seen a really uniform ratchet on an Anaconda. You need to regulate the index faces of the ratchet for absolute uniformity in such a way as to let the hand just barely pass the ratchet (the other side of the hand bears on the side plate). Go slowly here, It takes time to do the job right. A two piece range rod will give you a better idea of where you are as you work the ratchet faces than a standard range rod.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bfoster (edited 11-01-2003).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
The one thing that really impressed me about my six inch Anaconda...the lock work is totally great...it revolves like an engine journal turning over ever so smooth and solid.

44and45

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
44and45 - I agree. Also, when I close the cylinder it glides into place & locks with a feel and sound like none other I've experienced. Very impressive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts