Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never shot an Anaconda, and was wondering if they are as smooth and of the same quality as the Python. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of the 44 and 45? I would like to learn a little more about them, if someone would care to share their experience and knowlegde in this area. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have one of the first models in .45. It's not a Python by any means except in looks. It has the newer lockwork using coil springs and functions more like a S&W. It is a strong revolver and some have rated it right with the Rugers in strength.
My .45 Anaconda suffers from oversized throats (a common trait of Colts), but with .454" instead of .452" bullets it does quite well (mine only shoots cast bullets anyway).
The very early .44s had a few teething problems, but they were quickly corrected and many people fine them to be extremely accurate.
I really can't see the price for new models today, but they are fine revolvers.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 12-08-2003).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey Beave,

Anaconda's first came out in 44 mag only beginning in 1991. Only in stainless steel. The 45 LC never "replaced" the 44 mag. It came out later as an addition to the Anaconda line.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
WS23 tells the story on Anaconda. I actually messed up one of those deals in a life time when I bought my Anaconda. The store actually had a pair of used Anacondas, one in.45 and one in .44, for sale. Since I have never cared much for the .44mag I only bought the .45. After getting home and thinking about it I realized I should have put the .44 on layaway. I got back to the store the following evening and of course it was gone. Such is life for me, but I still ended up with the one I really wanted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought mine in the fall of 97.They had my 8 inch 44 mag and a 6 inch in 45colt.I paid 525 out the door.it came right out of the box with a very rich,smooth hammer cock and fairly nice single action let off with no creep.the serratted trigger is maby a mm in clearance with the triger guard(tight clearences,cool,quality etc...)Its a big revolver with a medium size combat grip(houge rubber)with colt madallions.seems like 6 months after i bought it colt went threw a shutdown but has reintroduced the anaconda for a whopping 1000 bucks!!!!
enhanced sha mansed,it cant be any nicer than mine.i shoot mine now and then i love it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought mine in the fall of 97.They had my 8 inch 44 mag and a 6 inch in 45colt.I paid 525 out the door.it came right out of the box with a very rich,smooth hammer cock and fairly nice single action let off with no creep.the serratted trigger is maby a mm in clearance with the triger guard(tight clearences,cool,quality etc...)Its a big revolver with a medium size combat grip(houge rubber)with colt madallions.seems like 6 months after i bought it colt went threw a shutdown but has reintroduced the anaconda for a whopping 1000 bucks!!!!
enhanced sha mansed,it cant be any nicer than mine.i shoot mine now and then i love it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who have replied. How difficult is it going to be to find a 4" blue 44, and about what price range do you think it SHOULD be? I am not in any hurry, but would like to start looking around.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
"How difficult is it going to be to find a 4" blue 44"? Very difficult, as they didn't make them in "blue" only stainless steel and a few in matte or Realtree Grey coating over stainless.
You're probably only going to find shiny guns.
Most used Anacondas I've seen lately are going for $600-900 and some even more than the Pythons.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
25 Posts
you see one for 600 you better do what ever it takes to pull 600 plus tax or whatever and get it.i havent seen one under 900 in the 6-8 gun stores in the general area.ive seen a few 4 inchers. mostly 8 inches followed by 6 inches are the most popular.never seen a factory blue one ecept once in a magazine???maby they had it blued??they are a quality handgun as is the mod 29 naturaly..

·
Registered
25 Posts
you see one for 600 you better do what ever it takes to pull 600 plus tax or whatever and get it.i havent seen one under 900 in the 6-8 gun stores in the general area.ive seen a few 4 inchers. mostly 8 inches followed by 6 inches are the most popular.never seen a factory blue one ecept once in a magazine???maby they had it blued??they are a quality handgun as is the mod 29 naturaly..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts