Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a Colt Anaconda (44MAG), used, in excellent condition. The dealer is asking $800. Worth it? Unfortunately I live in MA and we can't buy new Colt or used Colts unless they were previously "registered" in the state.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
A new one from Colt (if & when they ever make one again) will be in the $1000 range. It better be Sweet for $800 though.

FYI: I find that the 4 inch tube version is a little tougher to find than the 6 incher.

If it's a 5 inch tube.... Jump all over that sucker for $800.

Plus, you're stuck buyin' what you can get being where you live and all, so ya can't be too picky I guess.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding. I'll take another trip out to the gun shop and check it out a little closer. If it's a 5 incher it will be in my safe tomorrow nite.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a 44 and a 45,,both with 4 inch barrels.I must admit though that the Smith 29-2 is the better gun.The Anaconda goes "Clunk" when you cock it.The 29 is smooth as a Python.And if you find a pre-29 then I promise you you'll find a Python in 44 mag....By the way the 45 Anaconda is rare I hear.Someone said only 5% of the Anaconda's were in 45.There's money to be made on some of them Colts,if you know what's what....Smith's got a nice gun in the older ones,they just don't sell to well.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
The 45 LC Anaconda is not RARE in a 6 inch tube. I see them here and there, and have had a few. They usually sell for the same as the 44 mags in my area.
The hard to find one is the 4 inch 45 LC.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I must admit though that the Smith 29-2 is the better gun.The Anaconda goes "Clunk" when you cock it.The 29 is smooth as a Python.And if you find a pre-29 then I promise you you'll find a Python in 44 mag

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say the M29 is better as the Anaconda is stronger. I tried cocking my 29s and Anacondas and found they both sound the same when cocked fast or slow. My 5 screw Pre-29 is no better or smoother. It is a nice revolver, but I think the pre-27s have better actions (at least mine do).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts