369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this Stainless Anaconda up yesterday /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Serial MM546** Year of Mfg?? Thanks.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Steve, NICE looking gun!!
Sorry but I do not have ANY listings of serial numbers beyond the mid 80's??
Can't you call Colt? I do have some of the 'box' outer wrapper for that model, but they are lower numbers and have NO clue when they "sold"................

·
Registered
794 Posts
This is exactly why Bighornhunter was trying to create a data base for Anaconda S/N's. By now his info is much more complete than mine, however it looks to be 1994.

Does that match your info BH?

·
Registered
689 Posts
The bright polish as well as the grips seem to indicate a Custom Shop Gun...

What ever the case it sure is a Beaut of an Anaconda...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is a picture perfect example of a first issue Anaconda. It is exactly the way it left Colt and appears to be in excellent condition. A very nice First Issue Colt Anaconda. Good buy, congratulations.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the Serial put this in the first Issue time frame? Are the stocks correct? I was thinking it needed rubber with gold medallions.

Value?

·
Registered
794 Posts
The stocks are incorrect in my opinion. You are correct it should be sporting the "Goodyear" rubber. The finish being nicely polished and the wooden stocks are not validation of this being a Custom Shop gun. I can only guess what ktncolt was referring to when he called it "1st Issue."

To begin with this is not a "1st Edition" Anaconda. I believe the reference to 1st Issue means the models produced before the drilled and taped models came out (Model MM3060DT). So yes your Anaconda is one such (pre drilled and tapped) produced and is likely model MM3060 6" STS 44 Mag.

All in all you have an extremely handsome gun.

·
Registered
491 Posts
WS23,
I concur because I bought an Andaconda in 1992, it came in a blue plastic box, and black grips. It supposedly was right at the time they were "hitting the streets". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts
Someone refresh my memory.

Wasn't there some problem with the very first Anaconda's shipped from the factory? Did this have something to do with the drilling and tapping WS23 is referring to?

szuppo - That is one of the finest looking Anacondas I have ever seen. There was a special limited edition that came in an aluminum case that was bright polished stainless with walnut stocks. Looks just like yours. I wonder if you got the special edition without the luggage.

·
Registered
170 Posts
From my research the gun is a 1994 Model.Now as for the bright stainless and wooden stocks.They do not match production from that year.The gun looks just like the 1 of 1000 First Edition.The only problem is the serial number does not natch the 1 of 1000 run.I would call or email Cindy and colt and get it dated.If you do that please post it for us.

·
Registered
794 Posts
BH it does not look exactly like a 1st Edition. The 1st Edition Anaconda is roll marked as such on the 2nd line. So this gun can't possibly be a 1st Edition Anaconda.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll give a call in the morning and see what the real date is.
I believe it should have rubber w/ gold medallions and came in the blue Plastic Case.
JMHO

I do like her though /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
170 Posts
WS23:

You are right in saying it is not a first edition.I just said it looked like a gun in that run.The serial number says it is not that run of guns.I guess I worded my statement wrong.I did not mean to imply it is a 1st Edition Gun.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a box but not the right one to the gun. A call will a least confirm mfg. date and is the best I can do for now.

·
Registered
296 Posts
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=54460880

Please look at this post. This is what I thought an early issue anaconda should be just like the post. Now that I look at the serialization I am confused. Any other thoughts. All in all this is a beautiful anaconda, and I have seen them before in this configuration just did not look at the serial number. Can you confirm the serial number. Nice piece.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Just to answer my own question, here's a clip from a John Taffin article on the Anaconda. Apparently there was some problem with the barrels during the first production runs and Colt stopped shipping them. I have no idea how many made it out of the factory before they haulted production.

"Even after the birth announcements were sent out to one and all, the new snake refused to arrive. And when it did, something was radically wrong. After thirty-five years, the Colt .44 Magnum arrived and it would not shoot. Remember those early articles and how some gunwriters tried to make it sound like everything was O.K. " So what if it doesn't shoot at least we have a .44 Magnum marked COLT." Even Colt knew they had real problems and they stopped shipping Anacondas . Talking to John Nassif of Colt in early 1991, I learned the problem was barrels. The .44 barrels just would not perform."

·
Registered
794 Posts
I don't want to beat a dead horse to death, but there is still some confusion that needs to be cleared up.

The description of the gun in the link http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=54460880 is not accurate. More likely (being kind) a matter of poor choice of words: "Up for auction is a 1st edition S/S Colt Anaconda.. 44mag..6" barrel..ser# MM19XXX..(6123)"

Although the seller misrepresents this as a 1st edition, he probably really means an early model. A simple mistake perhaps, as his S/N dates to 1991 which would make it an early model. Remember the Anaconda was released in 1990.

The gun in the link is NOT a 1st Edition Anaconda. As pointed out in an earlier post, the real 1st edition Anaconda will be roll marked as such on the 2nd line. See this link: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=52749108

Again the wooden stocks (on both the subject gun and the ktncolt linked gun) are most likely add on's after the fact. They have been at various times up for sale from such places as Sportsman Guide, CDNN, Numrich, found all the time on e-bay, etc, etc. But according to all my catalogs (not a complete set) from the 90's, NOWHERE do they show those wooden stocks being offered on an Anaconda Model MM3060.

I own Anacondas from many of the years in the 90's (that's how I am able date other peoples Anacondas) and not a single one came from the factory with anything other than the Goodyear Radial TA's.

There is no doubt that the subject gun of this post is an outstanding example of a modern Colt. Anyone here would be proud to have such a gun in their collection. And just look at all the attention this post has received.

HTH

1 - 20 of 26 Posts