Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
From what I seen before, they made more 6" barrel Anacondas than all the other sizes combined.

Reactions: saintclair

·
Premium Member
21,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bssmalley23: Thanks, that is the kind of information I am looking for. I do not own an Anaconda, so if I buy this 4" model, I am hoping it is not the most common, least valuable variety. Right now, not too many are available in my area of the country, so it is this one or wait for a better one to come along.
I understand what Rob states about the 45 cal being rare and the 5" version being rare, but I doubt I could find either, locally.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
4" anaconda would be a nice score no matter which caliber it is. But I do believe the 45LC is a lot more rarer than the .44 in 4". My brother has a real nice 8" .45 that he bought in '93.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I had the chance to buy a nice anaconda in 45 colt for $700 a couple years ago,but I figured if Im getting the anaconda I want the 44 mag. I got a 6"in 44 mag and it is more accurate than my S&W 629 and my Ruger newmodel blackhawk. But I wish I had ALSO bought the 45 colt now.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
My 6" 45 Colt Anaconda was my first Colt revolver as well as my introduction to 45 Colt cartridge, fell in love with both and have several 45 Colts now. No need for anything bigger. Easier to load a .44 Special specs. in .44 Mag. than make a Casull out of a .45 Colt,don't see how either one is not a good choice.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
According to my reading, all 45 cal Anacondas are pretty hard to locate. I will have to 'settle' for a 44 mag, I guess. Anyway, I have many Colt SAA's in 45 LC.
Based on everything I have read, they only made certain barrel lengths during certain production runs. The same with the .45lc variant. Without going back and digging it all up again, the consensus on rareness I would say that the most rare barrel is the 5", then the 4", then the 8", then the 6". With the .45lc variant being more rare between the two calibers no matter what size barrel.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Don't know about value, and I've never even seen a 4", but I have shot 6" .44s in the Super Blackhawk, the Smith & Wesson N frame, the Dan Wesson, and the Anaconda. I have shot the N frame in .45. Of all of 'em, the Anconda handled and shot the best, both in accuracy and terms of punishment to the shooter. The 6" Dan Wesson was second best. Of the N frames, the .45 was, by far, the best & easiest to shoot. The Blackawk and the .44 N frame don't even rate a mention in my estimation. They just ain't right.
I got out of large bore revolvers a while back, and this assessment is somewhat dated. If I was to re-enter the fray, I would most likely seek a good .45, like the Anconda.
Ahhh... what do I know about it anyway?

ps. The .41 magnum is the one that shoot really well in everything.
Jes' sayin'.....

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
If you get the chance to snag it at a fair price, do so. They are exceptional guns. I personally like the 8" barrel ones and just shined my 8" up the other day and it's beautiful. Looks like whoever owned it before shot it very little and took really good care not to scratch it all up while handling. The only thing you have to realize is that the cylinder will have a little play and the bolt drops early and causes a turn ring. It is designed that way. The only unattractive thing is the trigger and the hammer, the MIM parts. I wish they would have used solid STS for those two. It would be so much nicer.

Let us know if you get it and post some pics!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.