Colt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
I happen to be a fan of MIM. Yeah, it's not as pretty, but it works REALLY well. When S&W went to MIM internals on their revolvers, the actions were smoother than any made before WW2, and more importantly, factory returns plummeted. That's because MIM parts come out of the molds dimensionally perfect, and that's a very handy feature. My MIM S&W 617 has a smoother action than my Python or OMT.

When customers bring me S&W's with MIM internals for action jobs, I never even have to touch the hammer or trigger. If there is any hitch in the action, it's likely the cylinder, not the MIM internals. S&W's MIM internal parts are pretty darned good...just not real pretty.

Anyhow, I thought the hammer and trigger were EDM, and only the small parts were MIM on the new Python?

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
I’m not a fan of MIM myself. Anyway I’m glad to see the big snake coming back! I’m not a 44 Mag man, I have a couple but rarely shoot them. If Colt produces a 2.5” or 3” version, count me in. Would really like a 10 inch silhouette version (and in 22) but I’ll not hold my breath on those ;).

·
Registered
408 Posts
I received a 6" barrel Anaconda several days ago from Colt. I'm trying to find some current .44 Magnum cartridges, but it's not looking good; I may have to test shoot it with some older ammo. At any rate, I hope to get it to the range soon. The article will be in the Sep/Oct 2021 issue of COMBAT HANDGUNS magazine. And yes, it has the same action and grip frame as the 2020 Python.
Anaconda.jpg

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
The grip frame of the new Anaconda is bigger than that of the original Anaconda. It's the stocks themselves that make the aesthetics of the gun change for better or worse.

Reactions: DarkLord

·
Registered
412 Posts
No doubt there will be a few bump on the road before they get to perfection. Given their current manufacturing processes, and the updated design of the lockwork, this Anaconda ought to be a good step above the old one. One of the things I see they did that really needed to be done was a re-designed/re-shaped trigger. When I had my Anaconda I always thought the shape of the trigger really didn't help the feel of the DA action. I can't wait to handle one of the new Anaconda's. I have absolutely no use for a .44 mag, so here's hoping I hate it :p

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
Really? So you're saying the old Anaconda had a smaller grip frame than the Python?
Old Anaconda grip frame on the left...Python grip frame on right.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Old Anaconda grip frame on the left...Python grip frame on right.
View attachment 732951
Interesting. Definitely skinnier at least. The Anaconda looks a small amount taller up to the hump in the backstrap.

The old Anaconda came with full wraparound grips. The new one is coming with Hogues that don't cover the backstrap which is probably what I'm seeing like you were mentioning.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Wow, I'm impressed with Colt! I remember just 5 years ago when people were saying (myself probably too) Colt would never make a quality DA again. And yet they did! The Cobra, then Cobra Target. We all said that would be all for Colt, but "wish they'd make a Python..." Well they did! Then many said "wish they'd make an Anaconda, but the .44 is dying...blah blah" But they did! The wish-meisters are never satisified.

I'm very pleased for Colt and American all steel guns. I'm not going to nitpick what I'd rather have at this point, or lament manufacturing changes over the past 25 years, or whine about a few early QA problems. They did what we wanted. If you don't want one, you just don't buy it. But a new release announcement is time for a celebration, not armchair analysis. I'm glad they brought a new revolver out.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I imagine Colt did some market research before deciding on a 6" and 8" for the initial release. I would've preferred a 4" and 6" but that's just me. My preferences are not based on marketing research.
LOL not enough.... The 8inch is going to be out a little later but the 6in and eventually the 4in will outsell the 8in by a huge margin.

·
Registered
412 Posts
LOL not enough.... The 8inch is going to be out a little later but the 6in and eventually the 4in will outsell the 8in by a huge margin.
Agreed...

The only way I can see an 8" before a 4" is because they want to create a collector's piece...8" .44's are not big sellers, you'll sell four or five 4" revolvers before you sell an 8". I would have done the exact same as the Python, 6" first, 4" a close second, and then start monkeying around with the other lengths. But hey, I'm just glad they're making the thing.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts