Colt Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Something that I have been pondering now that the Python and Anaconda look and by all accounts function so similarly...

Is the new Python the premium revolver in Colt's DA lineup? In other words, if the finish and mechanicals and features are the same between the 2 guns what makes the new Python more premium than the Anaconda?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I received a 6" barrel Anaconda several days ago from Colt. I'm trying to find some current .44 Magnum cartridges, but it's not looking good; I may have to test shoot it with some older ammo. At any rate, I hope to get it to the range soon. The article will be in the Sep/Oct 2021 issue of COMBAT HANDGUNS magazine. And yes, it has the same action and grip frame as the 2020 Python.
Without spoiling your article, can you give us some initial thoughts?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Agreed...

The only way I can see an 8" before a 4" is because they want to create a collector's piece...8" .44's are not big sellers, you'll sell four or five 4" revolvers before you sell an 8". I would have done the exact same as the Python, 6" first, 4" a close second, and then start monkeying around with the other lengths. But hey, I'm just glad they're making the thing.
Just so you are crystal clear.... Colt could care less about creating a "collector piece" that is just wishful dreaming. Colt is about selling product.

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
But I think Colt would be perfectly satisfied if the buying public wanted collector pieces and wanted to buy one of each barrel length! :)

Reactions: BusaDave

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
But I think Colt would be perfectly satisfied if the buying public wanted collector pieces and wanted to buy one of each barrel length! :)
Ahhhh Yes... I feel certain that there will be more 4in "collectors" than 8in "collectors". ;) The days of the long barrel revolvers are pretty much done especially with the new powders available to the the commercial ammunition makers and the handloaded product produced by individuals. We have come a looong way in the last 20 years with propellants in particular.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Agreed...

The only way I can see an 8" before a 4" is because they want to create a collector's piece...8" .44's are not big sellers, you'll sell four or five 4" revolvers before you sell an 8". I would have done the exact same as the Python, 6" first, 4" a close second, and then start monkeying around with the other lengths. But hey, I'm just glad they're making the thing.
Sounds like they are thinking the hunting crowd will be well represented in the buying demographic.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just so you are crystal clear.... Colt could care less about creating a "collector piece" that is just wishful dreaming. Colt is about selling product.
I should have better signaled my sarcasm when I typed that... The sarcastic point I was making...they're creating a niche collector's revolver, because it's not going to sell in big numbers.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sounds like they are thinking the hunting crowd will be well represented in the buying demographic.
I guess so...the Anaconda is great as a hunting revolver, accurate and brute strong.

I agree with BusaDave when he says the days of long barrels are dead. Well perhaps I won't go so far as to say dead, but they're becoming niche, while the revolver enthusiasts have been trending short for a good while.

Still, I'd love to handle an 8" Anaconda, I think that would just be cool. But the market is going to demand a 4". For me personally, I never went shorter than 4" in .44 magnum... But Colt could make a good payday making a 3" Anaconda.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I guess so...the Anaconda is great as a hunting revolver, accurate and brute strong.

I agree with BusaDave when he says the days of long barrels are dead. Well perhaps I won't go so far as to say dead, but they're becoming niche, while the revolver enthusiasts have been trending short for a good while.

Still, I'd love to handle an 8" Anaconda, I think that would just be cool. But the market is going to demand a 4". For me personally, I never went shorter than 4" in .44 magnum... But Colt could make a good payday making a 3" Anaconda.
Know this is going to start some comments but I want a 454... There is room for it in this version. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Called Colt and they said they are running a production batch to be released in April. Stated we should contact their trophy dealers to get one.

Wonder if gun shops will sell at the $1499 MSRP?

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
S
Wonder if gun shops will sell at the $1499 MSRP?
That will depend on what the gun store has to pay for it from the distributor...and the MSRP is simply a suggested retail price. They can ask whatever they want...and can always blame the unnamed distributor whether true or not.

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
Colt had a stocking dealer program...the dealer had to maintain a certain number of Colt handguns and rifles to be one and in return could get some priority pricing and product. Many opted out because of the high investment required to become a stocking dealer. The requirements pretty much excluded mom and pop type of operations and leaned more towards high volume stores.

I would think the Trophy Dealer designation is something similar or based upon maintaining a certain sales volume of Colt products. There's certainly none in my area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, @SnidelyWhiplash is spot on. Those trophy dealers apparently sell a lot of Colt products and financially commit. I don't have a trophy dealer in Western Washington with some cities having a household income of $150K with plenty of gun consumers????

Told to go to the really big gun shops.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Folks,
That argument that the Stocking dealer program was too rich for Mom and Pop stores was BS. If you looked at the program, it required that the dealer stock 5 handguns and 1 rifle and had to have a retail store with established hours open to the public. They did not have to buy all at once and just had to work towards maintaining the inventory. If you can't do that, you are most likely a part time dealer.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Took the Anaconda out for a test shoot Friday. All the results will be in the Sep/Oct 2021 issue of COMBAT HANDGUNS magazine. Here is an example of the new Anaconda's potential. This 5-shot group was fired at 50 yards. That square head measures 4.5" x 5" and the ammo used was Federal American Eagle 240 gr. JHP. The group itself measured 2.58 inches.
C-AN_016.jpg
C-AN_016.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Something that I have been pondering now that the Python and Anaconda look and by all accounts function so similarly...

Is the new Python the premium revolver in Colt's DA lineup? In other words, if the finish and mechanicals and features are the same between the 2 guns what makes the new Python more premium than the Anaconda?
About a year ago I saw a Colt representative, in a video posted on Youtube, mention the following and that gave me the impression that the new Anaconda when released would be elevated in quality/status compared to the previous version which appeared to be a scaled up King Cobra with a Python-looking barrel profile.
So, IMO, now the Anaconda is equally "premium" - it's simply a larger Python chambered in larger calibers.

Colt on the old Anaconda: "The Anaconda never got its due in my opinion. It was a coil spring action, it was very gritty. It didn't have the same feel as the Python. My view, and our whole.. whether that happens this year or next year. It's on our radar. That we're going to scale up to another size frame at some point and deliver a better action with a leaf spring mechanism that those customers that like .44 magnum and maybe even higher calibers want an opportunity to shoot a Colt. So, yes, it's definitely on our radar. But stay tuned. But it's definitely something we're considering."

61 - 80 of 103 Posts