Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Interesting. As you’ve probably discovered, there’s no trace of a guy by that name to be found via Google. In 1927, the shipping ledgers were probably still written by hand; it could well be that it was misspelled or misread and his name was Prince or something similar.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's try this again. Is there a resource listing Colt Armory employees in 1927 and the name can be reduced from those records?

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Well, crickets.

So you may have to do the work yourself. Find someone who does genealogy and pays for database access, and find out whether a guy by that name even existed there in the timeframe, via census and such. If not, try different possible spellings. It couldn‘t hurt to call Archives and ask whether they‘d double-check the name; they might not, but then again, they‘ve been helpful in the past.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just e-mailed Paul from Colt Archives. Thanks.

I know the provenance of this pistol at least from 1949, owned by a U S Senator.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
As listed as the individual this Colt Camp Perry pistol was shipped to in the factory letter. That's a name I've never heard of before.
As I suspected, his surname is screwed up. See attached, and look under George K. Prime. I must add that the folks at Colt Archives do their best with surnames and company names, but many times there can be 2 or 3 interpretations. Add to penmanship about 100 years of wear, and reading this stuff can be a real challenge.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
As listed as the individual this Colt Camp Perry pistol was shipped to in the factory letter. That's a name I've never heard of before.
George K. Prime was born in 1862 and died in 1951. I thought that maybe this “shipment” was a “Presentation Account” situation honoring X years of service at Colt. And maybe it was. But by city directories, the first year he was working at Colt’s was 1920. In 1936-40 he was still a diemaker at CPFA Mfg. Co.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
victorio1sw, I cannot thank you enough!

Well, I was hoping to keep this one a secret and maybe have enough material to write an article for the Rampant Colt. But, I guess the factory letter created more mysteries than I had hoped!

Of course, just like now, anyone can buy a Colt second hand. And perhaps this is what Senator Frederic Walcott did at some point between 1927 and his death in 1949. I know his descendants and I know for a fact that his firearms were kept virtually untouched in his residence, which the family still owns, until being offered for auction earlier this year. I know that President Hoover would come to his residence and fish with him at a pond nearby, and that this pistol was manufactured about the time he was elected to the U S Senate. He was an interesting fellow, the "father" of the duck stamp, and an outdoorsman, and I can gain access to some primary source materials which could make for an interesting article.

Except not shipped directly to him, or not shipped to President Hoover, or not shipped to officials in the Republican Party in Connecticut who might have presented this to him upon his election to the Senate.

Sort of a "dead end" as far as how it went from George K Prime to him, unless any of you out there have any ideas?

I still might be able to write a decent article some day, but the Colt letter doesn't exactly help the matter with regards to this pistol being a gift...unless others might know that George K Prime at Colt Armory was a common destination for Colts as later presented to dignitaries???

In the meantime, here's the link to the completed auction: Colt Camp Perry Single Shot Pistol

And here is a bit about Senator Walcott: Frederic C. Walcott - Wikipedia

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
victorio1sw, I cannot thank you enough!

Well, I was hoping to keep this one a secret and maybe have enough material to write an article for the Rampant Colt. But, I guess the factory letter created more mysteries than I had hoped!

Of course, just like now, anyone can buy a Colt second hand. And perhaps this is what Senator Frederic Walcott did at some point between 1927 and his death in 1949. I know his descendants and I know for a fact that his firearms were kept virtually untouched in his residence, which the family still owns, until being offered for auction earlier this year. I know that President Hoover would come to his residence and fish with him at a pond nearby, and that this pistol was manufactured about the time he was elected to the U S Senate. He was an interesting fellow, the "father" of the duck stamp, and an outdoorsman, and I can gain access to some primary source materials which could make for an interesting article.

Except not shipped directly to him, or not shipped to President Hoover, or not shipped to officials in the Republican Party in Connecticut who might have presented this to him upon his election to the Senate.

Sort of a "dead end" as far as how it went from George K Prime to him, unless any of you out there have any ideas?

I still might be able to write a decent article some day, but the Colt letter doesn't exactly help the matter with regards to this pistol being a gift...unless others might know that George K Prime at Colt Armory was a common destination for Colts as later presented to dignitaries???

In the meantime, here's the link to the completed auction: Colt Camp Perry Single Shot Pistol

And here is a bit about Senator Walcott: Frederic C. Walcott - Wikipedia
George K. Prime was an active member of the Hartford Yacht Club. I wonder if Walcott was as well?

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
He could be on History's Detectives with his skills. He's posted several detailed investigations on firearms/people/gear. And no, his background isn't in investigations 😀 !
Vic

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would think the link between Senator Walcott, an outdoorsman and conservationist, and George Kellogg Prime would be more likely to be the Hartford Gun Club than the Hartford Yacht Club.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I would think the link between Senator Walcott, an outdoorsman and conservationist, and George Kellogg Prime would be more likely to be the Hartford Gun Club than the Hartford Yacht Club.
Hartford Gun Club is in GKP's Obit, alright! I agree.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will likely create a new thread in a bit with photographs of this phenomenal revolver. I had intended to keep this one a bit of a secret, in hopes I could piece together a nice article for the Rampant Colt, but this seems unlikely now. It was not shipped to Walcott, nor a sporting goods store near where he might have resided or worked, nor to a prominent individual who might have presented this Camp Perry model pistol to him. I received the factory letter on a Smith & Wesson Double Action Frontier that he owned today, and it shipped in 1901 to Sears Roebuck & Co in Chicago. Another disappointment.

These firearms were definitely, without a doubt, owned by Senator Walcott. I guess he and I have a bit in common--we are purveyors of fine pistols or revolvers that we purchased second hand. It is, of course, possible that Walcott purchased the DA Frontier through Sears, Roebuck & Co but this cannot be proven, of course, and is more plebeian than had been hoped for.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I will likely create a new thread in a bit with photographs of this phenomenal revolver. I had intended to keep this one a bit of a secret, in hopes I could piece together a nice article for the Rampant Colt, but this seems unlikely now. It was not shipped to Walcott, nor a sporting goods store near where he might have resided or worked, nor to a prominent individual who might have presented this Camp Perry model pistol to him. I received the factory letter on a Smith & Wesson Double Action Frontier that he owned today, and it shipped in 1901 to Sears Roebuck & Co in Chicago. Another disappointment.

These firearms were definitely, without a doubt, owned by Senator Walcott. I guess he and I have a bit in common--we are purveyors of fine pistols or revolvers that we purchased second hand. It is, of course, possible that Walcott purchased the DA Frontier through Sears, Roebuck & Co but this cannot be proven, of course, and is more plebeian than had been hoped for.
But when I see a Colt letter that only says "Shipped To" (not sold to), what is that trying to say?? For example I have a fine engraved Colt 1877 DA that was "shipped to" Winchester in New Haven, CT as a plain polished gun, ready for engraving in 1880. Now it is engraved with fine pearl grips. I cannot yet convince Colt Archives to look for this gun being shipped again, but I believe that it was.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts