Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my name is Dave and I'm new to this forum.

A bit about me, I've worked in the club/venue security for the past 19 years and have recently been involuntarily retired. Probably for the best as I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore. I've always been more of a revolver guy in my sidearm choice, but switched to a 15 rd FN .45 and sold off most of my firearms except my tricked out 1953 S+W Model 25. I haven't been fortunate enough to own a Colt in my lifetime yet, but I'm not giving up!

It was suggested to me that there a lot of people in the forum who've probably forgotten more about cowboy holsters that I ever knew in the first place. And after having run into a bunch of dead ends trying to research the matter. I figured let's toss it in here and see what folks have to say.

I've gotten a few comments form a couple of guys and most of what they said contradicted the other. So, anyone have any idea what I have here? Assuming that the belt and holster DO go together, it means Andy himself couldn't have done this work as he retired in 1975 and the belt is clearly marked 1980. One guy said it was made by Perez, who took over the Gunfighter Shop after Andy retired.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
DSCN2694.JPG DSCN2691.JPG
DSCN2694.JPG DSCN2691.JPG DSCN2692.JPG
DSCN2694.JPG DSCN2691.JPG DSCN2692.JPG DSCN2693.JPG DSCN2694.JPG DSCN2691.JPG DSCN2692.JPG DSCN2693.JPG
DSCN2696.JPG
DSCN2698.JPG
DSCN2699.JPG
DSCN2695.JPG
DSCN2701.JPG DSCN2695.JPG

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Wow. the belt and holster do go together. That big concho added. Wouldn’t it be great if the concho was made by “Bohlin”? That ”gunfighter stitch” over the holster is like on other Andy Anderson’s. The book “Hokstery” says Anderson’s shop was destroyed in a 1972 earthquake and he had strokes in ‘72. Maybe that guy was right about Perez. On page 146 of the book is an AA With a tan right handed holster just like yours cut really low in front for fast draw. Same stitching on belt. It‘s great that yours is a lefty, but I’m prejudiced.
I wonder what the two missing Chicago screws on the back of the holster we’re for. Maybe for a different AA belt originally but the type without the drop loop like your belt. What a nice rig.

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
Red Nichols' book is titled 'Holstory'...

I don't think that the belt and holster came as a piece - there are two different shades of black dye, and the wear on the back of the holster doesn't quite mate up with the belt.

Not that uncommon - holsters come in different lengths, after all - but the color should match.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Red Nichols' book is titled 'Holstory'...

I don't think that the belt and holster came as a piece - there are two different shades of black dye, and the wear on the back of the holster doesn't quite mate up with the belt.

Not that uncommon - holsters come in different lengths, after all - but the color should match.
If the holster came on another belt, I suspect the holster went over the belt and not a drop loop. And kept in place on the belt with those two missing Chicago screws I mentioned. I had an Anderson rig and when the screws were removed the indents resembled those on this one Which are slightly countersunk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I hadn't checked the buckle for a maker's mark and lo and behold I found an anchor. Also found a stamped "C" on the leather behind the holster.

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
North and Judd made the buckle - they made them for the trade, for the military, the law enforcement equipment suppliers - the horse tack makers - basically, they made them for everyone needing a good buckle.

'Back in the Day', they also made spurs.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Jim Martin gave me a very tarnished buckle like that with the anchor. He said it came off either an Ojala or Anderson gun belt from long ago. Two Ojala rigs I’ve owned had those common buckles. Arvo Ojala charged extra to make the buckle billet like on your gun belt so the buyer could swap buckles. Since Anderson worked for him, he probably borrowed the idea for his rigs later, like yours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all the info, fellas. Ultimately I'm trying to find some sort of value for it, but I think I'm going to run into that old adage, "it's worth whatever someone will pay for it."

I'd keep the holster in a heartbeat if it fit my Smith, but that last time I might've fit in that belt was probably 25 years ago.

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
These holsters were built for 'Fast Draw' - in that vein, the interested buyer will be an aficionado, or one who appreciates that particular era.

They were built for SA Colts and Rugers.

I doubt he built holsters for S&W revolvers - if he did, they'd likely be duty rigs and sportsman leather.

As to assigning a value - you're on your own, though some will offer opinions.

Put it on ebay - you may well be surprised.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts