Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
Looks like the markings as applied by the custom gunsmith who converted them.

Whoever he was, he was no slouch. The conversion LOOKED very good, including the removal of the factory .357 markings and the application of the custom .41 marks.
The jobs were good enough to fool experts, who believed they were genuine factory jobs, until Colt blew the whistle.

I never could understand HOW someone with this level of skills could be stupid enough to do so obviously an unsafe conversion.

Nice job, and I certainly hope he had fun with it, because it wound up costing him his business.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I am sure you fellas have beat this to death before I showed up, but, since you ask, and for what its worth...

Sometime last summer, IIRC, there was a thread over on the S&W forum where we discussed these. Based on what I thought I had learned, I commented that these were the work of an unprincipled ‘smith who had later run off to parts unknown when his guns started to blow up.

That comment elicited a strong reaction from a fellow who had just about every .41 mag ever sold, and the pics to show this. His handle was “.41 Mag Nut” or something like that. He had a couple of the .41 mag Pythons and, per him, the smith had never tried to claim they were factory original, the guns had not blown up, he had never run off to parts unknown, and that his identity and whereabouts were not a mystery. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about.

My own opinion is even if I were to be convinced that was the case, I would not buy one. Frankly, the concept has no appeal to me, and I would worry about safety anyway.

I have tried a couple of times to find that thread again so that I could review it and post a link to it on this forum, but I haven’t been able to find it again.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
And it is a lousy blue job, it looks mottled in the picture.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
The problem was not what the gunsmith told the people who bought from HIM, it's the fact that when the original buyers sold the guns to other owners the fact that these were not factory guns didn't get passed on.

The Python simply isn't a large enough frame and cylinder to handle the .41 Magnum round, and the guns started to come apart.
At least several DID blow cylinders and frames, and when the owners angrily contacted Colt, they learned they were NOT factory guns.

The story I got was, several of the owners loosed lawyers on the gunsmith, and after he took a couple of real beatings in court, he closed up shop and "disappeared".

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
One frequent poster here once argued that the .41 magnum COULD be handled by the E/I frame-even after I told him that a very experienced gunsmith and I spent considerable time researching if these frames could handle the 10mm when it first came out. The 10mm is a smaller diameter round,hence less metal removed from the bore and chambers.

A call to Hartford cinched this in 1985.

There are times I would like to have an older Trooper or O.Police rebored to a .400 bbl. and chambers reamed out only to accept .40 S&Ws. I am sure Fitz would approve,as he was always looking for a way to improve upon the .41 Colt,a round he liked and approved as a "manstopper". Only problem is that while .41 Colt bores ran around .406.the cases were also about this outside diameter versus .423 for the 10mm/,40 S&W. And I'd worry even with .40 S&W with 200 gr. at 900 fps.,a load Fitz was seeking.

Guess I wont try and and fit a rebored E frame cylinder to my 1921 .41 Colt Army Special!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw a converted one at the Houston show Saturday. It was not re-stamped, it still showed the 357 ctg marking. I suppose the cyl was reamed out and the barrel re-bored. Seller said it "shot great". I hope no one bought it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I saw a converted one at the Houston show Saturday. It was not re-stamped, it still showed the 357 ctg marking. I suppose the cyl was reamed out and the barrel re-bored. Seller said it "shot great". I hope no one bought it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I saw that one on Saturday too. At least they didn't claim it was a factory job. My notes on it:
41 mag "custom Python" - still marked .357
"Shoots great"
Well worn finish
$895.

No thanks ... those cylinder walls looked awful thin ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts