Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings and thank you's in advance to one and all. I'm a newbie here, but have been lurking for a while. I recently lucked into the purchase of a Colt .357 revolver serial number 998. It has a target hammer, the fully checkered target grips are in excellent condition, and has a well worn pair of smaller style grips, both with the silver Colt medallion. The revolver is in about 85 to 90 percent condition (just honest holster wear) and I was able to buy this jewel for $200. Woo Hoo! Should I keep as is or send to Colt for refinishing (about $250) or would I ruin any collectors value. Hey, what is the collectors value on this revolver anyway? I find very little information available on this model. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Looks as though you have a first year Colt 357 (1954). Collector's value falls to nothing if you refinish it. True collectors want a piece just as it came from the factory with all correct components. You would certainly get more than you paid for it as you did get one helluva deal. If it is in good mechanical shape I would leave it as is and just enjoy it. If you do choose to send it off for factory refinishing it will look very nice, but not as nice as it did the day it was made (the bluing formula has most likely changed due to the chemicals that were once used) and would then be no more than a nice looking shooter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. It is in very good mechanical condition (after a good long cleaning and lots of oil). I probably will keep it as it is and since I will carry it occasionally it would get some holster wear anyway. I might try using the smaller set of grips with a Tyler T-Grip installed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts