Colt Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Denis, Bill, A1A, etal:

This is all confusing. Hummm, just when I thought I was beginning to see clearly, the water gets muddy again. I took some pics but it will be morning before I can try to post (my first attempt).

To recap, I have a blued Colt Mark III with wood grips and a wide hammer that I believe belonged to a PA Highway Patrol Officer. Beyond that, I haven't a clue what I have. It is in great shape, with a turn ring around the cylinder. I have never fired it but it for sure has had some rounds pounded, probably from qualifying. I tried to determine it's vintage (SN#26591L) but haven't a clue where it falls in the born-date. If one of you fine gentlemen (after viewing it) could fill me in, I would greatly appreciate it.

It's bad to be both old and ignorant...ah, er uninformed.

tks,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Heavy,
You appear to have a Trooper MKIII with large target-style grips & a wide-spurred hammer.
It is not a Trooper .357.
The MKIII has a completely different internal action, no parts (including grips) are interchangeable.
I don't know that there ever was a designation of "Target" or "Service" applied to the MKIIIs.
What else do you need to know about your gun?
Denis

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Years ago (20 years ago) I was also confused about Troopers as I had never heard of a Colt revolver called the "Trooper". At that time, I believed all "Troopers" were actually the Mark III version and did not need further description. Learned that was not the case as you can see in this thread. The original Troopers were introduced in 1953 and were discontinued in 1968 when the Trooper Mark III was introduced. The Mark III convention applies to a number of revolvers at that time and refers to the action and engineering aspects of the revolver.

Colt put walnut Target stocks on all their Trooper Mark III's except for the coltguard versions (electroless nickel) which had black pachmayr grips with the Colt medalion. Colt made these revolvers in a 4", 6", and 8" versions. If there was a service model, it mostly likely would have been a 2.5" which was not made. I suppose that there can always be exceptions as Colt is famous for their exceptions, but generally speaking what I just said is true based on the catalog information and owning a number of them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Here’s a couple Trooper Mk III’s with different grips/stocks that may help.

Trooper Mk III 6 inch Barrel .357 Mag (1976)

Trooper Mk III 6 inch Barrel .357 Mag (1981)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you everyone for responding...I think I got it! Guess there's no need for pics then.

This is a real nice place you got here!

tks,
Jerry

21 - 25 of 25 Posts