Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at this Colt Series 70 last month and then decided I really would like to get it. I had put it on lay-a-way and picked it up yesterday afternoon. Very nice to excellent overall condition, but has incorrect stocks and a later production CheckMate magazine. There is a bit of discolor on the right side of the slide that I did not notice untill I got home, and seems to be from some kind of protective wrapper. No box or paperwork $800.00 plus FL sales tax and $5.00 FDLE BG check.

Pulled the slide off of the frame last night and discovered that somebody had changed out the MKIV Collet bushing for a standard one.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Starting pistol Gun Trigger Shotgun

·
Registered
29 Posts
I personally think you got a good deal on the pistol and those grips are nice.
Its all in what you like.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The Collet bushing was most likely changed because the owner heard that they were known to have a finger of the bushing break off and jam the gun. Sure it makes it more original but I would be very happy to have it off the gun. Sounds like you got a good deal.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I was fortunate to have bought a real nice slightly used (maybe unused) collet bushing on eBay, and put it in the pistol. I must say that it shot quite well, although I have no use for the short trigger. But I also acquired a slightly used Combat Gov't/Delta Elite/Combat Elite trigger from eBay as well as an unused original Colt wide grip safety.

Not sure how far I'm going to go with any changes or modifications yet.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did I Ruin it Yet?

Did some modifications to this pistol;
Colt Elite trigger
Colt current ambi safety
Extended mag release
EGW MSH
10-8 Stock screws
King's Gun Works grip safety
King's Gun Works Hardball Sights

Attachments

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
No box, wrong grips/bushing, etc...no you didn't ruin it you made it exactly what it should be a great shooter geared towards your preferences. Congrats on making it your own

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you did just fine. Looks good to me.
Thank you.
Every since my friend bought a Combat Government Model that, and this have been my favorite configuration. My original older Series 70 that I've been shooting since 1972 ended up very much like this one over thirty years ago. It has Pachmayr's on it. I had a .38 Super too, but it got sold in the game of Colt shuffle.

I did manage to win an original Colt ambi safety on eBay for a pretty good price. Not sure if I'm going to use it, as I like this one, but wanted it anyway.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Mine was about $249 back in 1978 when I bought it. It is above a new Colt Series 70 in SS. Back in 1978 I had it ported, meaning the ejection port opened up, throated, meaning the barrel opened up. The only way I could shoot a .45 back then was by casting bullets and reloading. Also had better sights put on. I also put on a long trigger and flat MSH. I still have the original MSH and trigger, but for the rest there is no going back. I carried it for years and it now has over 40K rounds through it with the collet barrel bushing. It is semi retired now and I do not shoot it a lot. On the SS new Series 70 I did change out the grips for some I bought off the Colt website. I see these old guys go for $600-800 if in nice shape with NIB in the over $1K area, which is surprising since the new ones are a little over $1K and are very nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts