Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
My how times change. I bought a 4" nickel with Colt wood grips about 13 years ago off the net. It was LNNB for $350, and I was high bidder! Sold it a couple years later to fund some other "had to have.". Nice revolver, but I didn't really like the vent barrel, except on the Python, which I now have in the same configuration. Can't help it, I'm a nickel whore! Have a good day, all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I stayed in until $1,625 would no longer carry the mail. My rational is that Pythons are getting to be so expensive that demand (and price) will drive up the Troopers. And I sorta wanted a MK V as I have a III and some Pythons.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Well, in that barrel length, it's certainly more rare than the Pythons selling for prices in similar upper orbits. At the worst, I think it might be in the category of guns..."Didn't pay too much, but maybe a tad too soon"(?)....The MK V guns are slowly becoming recognized by collectors, so check the market value in five years and in the meantime, try to find another one that nice....:)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Some people are learning that Colt made a lot less of certain models which make them a bit more scarce and rival the finish of the Python. The MK III's and V's are beautifully finished gems.This is true of most everything that came out of Colt in the few preceding years their of demise. They made Pythons for nearly 50 years, no shortage there, expensive but available,not so with the MKV's,Metropolitan,Border Patrol's and a few others.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is the the value of the Mk V that much greater than a Mk III? I just fell into an awesome deal on a really nice Mk III and was curious as to difference between the two other than the vent rib.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Everything Colt is continuing to rise. If you look back years in posts, there are prices that people say were crazy which are now steals. I've bought several revolvers which at the time were considered on the high priced side but have all gone up 60%+. I don't know if there will be an end.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Is the the value of the Mk V that much greater than a Mk III? I just fell into an awesome deal on a really nice Mk III and was curious as to difference between the two other than the vent rib.
Yep, the MKIII was made from 1969-1982 while the MKV was made from '82-'85 (although some were shipped in early '86 before the strike). There were Trooper MKIII's made in 1983 with vented rib barrels. After the MKIII was discontinued, Colt discovered it had enough MKIII components (less barrels) to make complete guns so Colt decided to fit the vented MKV barrel to the MKIII frames. Here is my MKIII with a MKV vented barrel roll-marked MKIII.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I get a little sick when I see what these Troopers are going for now. I remember buying and selling a bunch of these back in the early 80s for peanuts! So young and dumb was I!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I get a little sick when I see what these Troopers are going for now. I remember buying and selling a bunch of these back in the early 80s for peanuts! So young and dumb was I!
I hear ya guy. I've bought and sold many for peanuts myself :bang_wall:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Price is what it is ... sometimes it is worth a little extra to fill a niche in a collection. Did you ever think about the amount of time we put forward in searching for guns or driving to various shows? And many times paying a hefty price is soon realized as we see how the Colt market is increasing.

And the only thing worse than spending too much is regretting the one you let go -- I did that with a stainless python to a friend .... and haven't found one to replace it :bang_wall:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts