Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this is not a Colt, and like some of you know, I'm a bit of a Python nut. But I thought that I would share some quick photos of my first Winchester, that my grandfather gave to me this weekend. It's a model 94 in 25-35 WCF. I'm guessing it dates back to the 40's-50's with a serial number in the 14XXXXX. Very happy to have it in my safe, after he's owned it so many years.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nice!

My grandfather left us a Winchester 30-30 that he used to use to hunt deer. It was the first rifle that I ever shot. I think I was only 6 when he and my father had me shoot it for the first time. I remember that it knocked me back onto my butt into a snow bank. LOL

It's down at my father's place now. I'm not sure what the model number is, etc. I'll have to look next time I am down visiting my father.

·
Registered
486 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are interested in dating it, the link below might help. Winchester says it is not complete or definative, and that appears to be the case for yours, as there are no serial numbers for Mod 94's between 1943 and 1947. Your rifle is in that range, but you might be able to get fairly close with the full serial number. (1946-47?)Year of Manufacture information made available by Winchester Customer Service Dept. - Winchester Repeating Arms Article
Looks like mine is 1492xxx and falls into the mystery range. Only 7,xxx in change from number 1,500,000 that was presented to president Truman in 48

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Neat weapon and a great inheritance, dgroff. Congratulations! I bought one brand spanking new for $96.00 in 1974. Certainly not a collector's item even now, being made after 1964. I miss it terribly, but I know it's in good hands now. Gave it to my son with 500 rounds of ammo as a birthday gift last year. Now he cherishes it. Bittersweet, but it was the right family heirloom thing to do.

Reactions: skwcoltguy

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I've had a couple of 25-35 WCF Model 1894s & 94s. Excellent cartridge and quite accurrate. I had an early 1950s or late 40s carbine and neededsome cash so I took it my local shop. The misatake I made was not going back and butting a deposit on it. Can't even find a decent M94 for a fair price anymore.

This one has the flat barrel band used during WWII and early post War.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
The first M94 25-35 carbine I had was an early 1950s and it had the long forearm, which was after Winchester stopped using them. I do not think that the 25-25 was a cataloged item after WWII, but I'm sure that Winchester used up the left over parts and marketed the remaining guns.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Very nice rifle and Winchester's prior to 64 keep going up in value like the Colts. Does the 25-35 caliber have a little more distance capability than the 30-30?
I doubt if the effective range is any greater then the .30 WCF, but it does have a flatter trajectory and is probably the most accurate of the old lever action cartridges. Certainly suitable enough for the average deer out to about 100 yards IMO, and an excellent choice for a youngster, or small women.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.