Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Told this guy there were no SS DSs and it was a refinish way back when the listing started . I'm surprised less by the sellers than I am the buyers on these. They could buy some pretty nice guns for just a little more than they are bidding on this. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Back in the early 70s a police reserve officer friend of mine owned a machine shop and metal working business. He discovered "hard chrome" worked well to protect tools, so he started plating his guns with it. This gun looks like one of the ones he did for fellow regular and reserve officers. He called it "Armo-Plate" as "Armoloy" was already being used by some other dealer. This was quite popular and he probably did 100+ guns that I know of.

A lot of the guys did PPC shooting guns with it as it was easy to keep clean between rounds... I had a Colt Series 70 .45 and a "Dick Special" done ... Maybe that one is it... don't remember the serial number but Bxxxx might be from the early 70s... I didn't check... Was always sorry that I got "talked out of it" but it added a collection piece at the time and I figured I could always get another one done...

At $279 which is where the bid is now it would be a good carry piece. The finish on mine wasn't affected by sweat from sticking it in your waistband or top of your boot like my S&W or Walter was... even a nickel plated one galled after awhile...

I didn't see anywhere in his ad that he was selling it as an original Colt finish? Did I just miss that?

Interesting thoughts of days gone by.... Bob Best

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

I didn't see anywhere in his ad that he was selling it as an original Colt finish? Did I just miss that?

Interesting thoughts of days gone by.... Bob Best

[/ QUOTE ]

Only to the extent that it is identified as SS which could only be original.

I myself purchased an obvious HC that was represented in the listing as SS sometime back. I bought it for the reasons you cite and it is an excellent refinish job. In these cases, I only notice that sellers often do not do much homework (giving the benefit of the doubt) and hope that the buyers know more than the sellers. I guess that's where caveat emptor comes in. I also think it's neat when someone has potentially "valuable" history on an "unusual" item. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts