Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it's the time of year or what, but I was on a kick to find a 57-70 NM pistol when I ran across this 1916 Commercial model in Cabelas. I couldn't leave without putting it on layaway. I've been tossing around the idea of selling another gun to fund a NM, but this one will do just fine. It needs a flat mainspring housing , and possibly a hammer, but otherwise it's all original appearing and other than the front strap the finish is very much intact. I felt the price was in line with value, or maybe even a deal, but I'm hoping they have a 10% off sale soon so I can get it out the door a bit cheaper.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
enjoy your new 45 , Bob. It can be dangerous to go to Cabella's. A few years ago I went to purchase some oil to deep fry a turkey, I ended up getting the oil and a first model sport Colt Woodsmen, with box and all the papers !

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't know if it's the time of year or what, but I was on a kick to find a 57-70 NM pistol when I ran across this 1916 Commercial model in Cabelas. I couldn't leave without putting it on layaway. I've been tossing around the idea of selling another gun to fund a NM, but this one will do just fine. It needs a flat mainspring housing , and possibly a hammer, but otherwise it's all original appearing and other than the front strap the finish is very much intact. I felt the price was in line with value, or maybe even a deal, but I'm hoping they have a 10% off sale soon so I can get it out the door a bit cheaper.
enjoy your new 45 , Bob. It can be dangerous to go to Cabella's. A few years ago I went to purchase some oil to deep fry a turkey, I ended up getting the oil and a first model sport Colt Woodsmen, with box and all the papers !
Congrats to both of you, I really am happy for you and jealous.
Why is it that every time I walk into Cabela's and look at their used guns all I can find are black plastic and beat-to-hell junk? I have yet to see a single prewar Colt semi-auto at any outdoorsman store (Cabela's, Gander Mountain, etc...). I'm sure timing has something to do with it, but maybe it's just the universe playing a cruel joke on me. Much the same as with the LGS finds that folks put up on here... "Oh hey I just found this 3-digit serial model 1903 in superb condition for <$700" - The only 1903 I've seen at LGS was in the 24,xxx serial range, about 5% original bluing, scuffed and scratched and scraped and dented, worn out grips, and they wanted >$1k for it. :| Even the only Colt M1911 I saw at an LGS - VERY duty-worn, scuffed, etc... Non-working condition, no mag, and still the ask was $2650. Yikes.

O_E

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I think you chose wisely, buying the 1916 GM vs. waiting for a much later NM. The later NM pistols are falling off tress, compared to the pistol you just got. Congratulations.

I can't see your hammer very well in the images provided, but it should look like the hammer on this 1916 GM.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott, thanks for the picture. I have a feeling the hammer is original, but the sharp point was filed to reduce hammer bite. The rear edge is in the white. Also, I was wondering about the MSH pin, it looked odd to me, but the picture you posted confirm's it to be correct for my gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts