Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving this here so someone doesn't get burned.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/699687264

Box is a reproduction, what makes it worse is the obvious (really bad) attempt to add the serial on the bottom in white grease pencil. The paperwork doesn't appear to be correct for the vintage either.

:bang_wall:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Buy the gun not the box. The gun and letter look good but that's all. Overpriced also. JMO D*

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Looking at all the pictures, the gun HAS gold medallions. The last thing I claim to be is a expert on boxes. Why do you think THAT box a fake?? The gun looks great to me. So does the box. I have several Pythons, one I bought NIB from a colt dealer. Without getting up and looking, I believe one of my colts also has the grease pencil on the bottom of the box like that. I am not interested enough to get off my recliner to check right now though. My 2 1/2" nickle Python that I bought NIB in January 1971 also has very faint looking gold, more silver looking than gold medallions too.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That box is not original to the gun,looks way too new,and no markings at all for the gun shop booking in/price,same with hang tag,and papers,way to new.
Colt letter and gun are original but ever thing else came off ebay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at all the pictures, the gun HAS gold medallions. The last thing I claim to be is a expert on boxes. Why do you think THAT box a fake?? The gun looks great to me. So does the box. I have several Pythons, one I bought NIB from a colt dealer. Without getting up and looking, I believe one of my colts also has the grease pencil on the bottom of the box like that. I am not interested enough to get off my recliner to check right now though. My 2 1/2" nickle Python that I bought NIB in January 1971 also has very faint looking gold, more silver looking than gold medallions too.
Box has zero wear. The label has no stampings and zero patina, it's a modern print. The serial on the bottom of the box, that white grease pencil writing is extremely fresh. Aged, correct, examples tend to fade/blend slightly over time, this appears it was done yesterday. Handwriting of the serial also does not match any of the verified examples from that time frame.

If they wanted to add a reproduction box to complete the package, that's ok. List it as a reproduction box. By adding a serial number to it, to me it becomes an intentional fake at that point, doing nothing more than trying to dupe someone into thinking that box is original to the gun. It isn't. The paperwork isn't either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts