Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many thanks to all who responded to my earlier post, but I have Another New Frontier Question (possibly silly)= Can the New Frontier use ordinary SAA holsters without messing up the adjustable sights or do they require a special type of holster?? I have never owned a revolver with adjustable sights and am curious. Thanks again, Bill.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm afraid there's some problems with the sights. Best bet is the Tom Threepersons type that sticks the revolver but higher and the rear sights ride outside the holster pocket. You'll need a holster with a sight-track arrangement, too because of the high front sight blade. I've noticed most of the high-end holster makers mention SAA's and NF's in different models in their catalogues. Many different kinds of holsters will fit - but just not very well!

·
Registered
67 Posts
The bottom line is, you'll have to try unless the rig is for a NF or a Ruger Blackhawk. Older Bianchi SA rigs and those of many other more "efficiency conscious" makers were generally made large enough to fit Colt SAA's and Ruger Blackhawks and, those obviously will handle the New Frontier. SA rigs by Lawrence and SD Myers were also large enough to fit both. Dunno about El Paso, but I suspect they do a generic large SA fit.

More contemporary rigs with the leather boned around the gun tended to be made for the specific weapon though obviously anything made for the Blackhawk will fit a New Frontier, though a bit sloppier. My hunting rigs for the NF are mostly older Bianchi crossdraws that are just marked for size as LG SA. They work fine even without the sight track.

Since the introduction of the Ruger Vaquero, though, some of these makers may now distinguish between the fixed and adjustable sighted variations. Just have no personal experience there. Since I've long had have my hunting rigs for the New Frontier and I use SAA's for SASS, I haven't tried much current production SA rigs that weren't specifically made for the Colts.

The sight track is handy to keep leather fuzz off the foresight and when I had Sparks do me a Summer Special for a 4-3/4 New Frontier, it came back marked "Ruger"--which irritated me a little, but not enough to argue about with a well made holster. The fit is snug though on the New Frontier and I don't own any Rugers other than the old Flattop 44's which were closer to the Colt in size than the later iterations of the Blackhawk. You've prompted me to dig out one of the truncated flat tops and see how it fits just to know if it's a "generic" SA size.

------------------
"And the blithe revolver began to sing/ To the blade that twanged on the locking-ring..."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts