Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mike

Your name suggest that you are a Diamondback guy? If so can you tell me a little about them. I put a deposite on one today. It's a 4" blue with not even a turn line on the cylinder in .38. Gun doesn't have orignal grips, theres no Colt medallian on them. Is $549 a good price for this?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Price is probably about ok, but I would try to scrounge up some original factory stocks that are correct for the gun. Price will probably be about $50-$75. The correct stocks would be target stocks; and depending on the year the gun was produced, there are generally two designs that are somewhat similar. Check out the other threads on Diamondbacks here in the forum for quite a bit of information on them.

Oh by the way, welcome to the Colt Forum!!! I think I'm a "Colt-aholic", but I tend to be a binge colt-aholic.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, I'm a Diamondback guy. I too have a 4" blue in .38 special. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Mine is a 1969 with original Colt stocks with the silver medallion. I believe the Diamondback is one of the most beautiful guns in .38 ever. And it's a pure pleasure to shoot.

Price on your's looks pretty good to me especially since it's in such great condition. I agree with 22-rimfire - get the original Colt stocks. That will make it a truly wonderful piece.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike

Im heading out to a gun show tommorow to see if I can find these grips. So are the silver medallians the correct color for this gun or did they also come with gold? Should I shoot this gun? Im actually thinking I might want to carry this gun

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You need to check the year manufactured inorder to get an idea of the proper factory stocks. Even then, it is not a perfect world. Post the serial number here and someone will help you out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm pretty sure the silver medallion is the proper color. My Diamondback came from late father-in-law who was particular about original elements.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have no doubt that your Diamondback has the original stocks. I have Diamondbacks with silver and gold medallions with varying stocks and they are all factory original. There are some late production Diamondbacks with Pachmayr grips. Remember Diamondbacks were manufactured over a 20 year period. The 38spl version was introduced in 1966.

Not trying to debate "your" diamondback. Anyway, even if he buys the wrong stocks, he can always sell them. They are not so easy to find at gunshows these days. Enjoy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good points 22-rimfire. 20 years is quite a time span. I had no idea some Diamonbacks had Pachmayr grips. That's why I love this forum. You can't get a better source for Colt information! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I found no Diamondback grips at the show, Im guess Im just going to have to wait it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts